1752800 Members
5817 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: epatap2k.sys problem with Windows 2000 Prof / 7500e

._4
Occasional Contributor

epatap2k.sys problem with Windows 2000 Prof / 7500e

Hi... I have Windows 2000 Professional loaded on a Dell Latitude 600C laptop. I also have Adaptec Easy CD Creator ver 4.03 loaded (2000 compatible). I have loaded the epatap2k.sys driver for use with a HP 7500e CD-Writer Plus.
Whenever the 7500e is connected my system "Blue Sceens" with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and ntoskrnl.exe. With the 7500e disconnected there is no problem. Microsoft SA have indicated to HP SA that it might be a hardware incompatibility problem....
Any suggestions ??
4 REPLIES 4
Dave Kelly_1
Respected Contributor

The latest Windows 2000 driver can be downloaded from
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/hpcd-write10789_swen.html

You should check you have the latest version.
Brent Sergent
Occasional Advisor

Hi Pat
If you review the download patch notes you'll find that this is for win2k to recongise your CD writer as a CD-Rom! not as a writer. The link to obtain the correct drivers are only for windows ME.
So you will need to source the correct drivers first. Contact HP support for more info.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

It appears that you've done everything right...
I would make sure that your Parallel Port is setup according to the Appendix of the User Manual:

"High speed parallel port (ECP or EPP) set to:
IRQ7 and I/O address 378 or
IRQ5 and I/O address 278"

If that is correct, look in Device Manager and see if there are any obvious problems/conflicts. If not, I am stumped! Sorry.
Make a great day!

Roger
Marvin Loftis
Occasional Advisor

Some known issues with the Epatap2k.sys file and a work around. It doesn't like norton or any of the other virus software, so disable it, do a search for "epat" (while in safe mode)and remove them all(all you have to do is rename them, uninstall the adaptec software, then do a search for *.vxd and any of these that begin with cd_____, rename these, once this is done reinstall the epat2k driver from safe mode, go into normal mode login as the administrator, go into the device manager and verify that the drive is working properly( detected and all that)install adaptec software and see what happens.
what ya dont know wont hurt ya but it might yer puter