1753879 Members
7602 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: expect and tcltk

Roy Richardson_1

expect and tcltk

We have been using expect1.1 on one of our servers for a while and suddenly we need to install it on other servers. I installed the following:

tcltk-8.5.6-ia64-11.23.depot
expect-5.43-ia64-11.23.depot

When ever I attempt to run in on another system I receive the following error:

sndx> expect
expect1.1> spawn
Tcl_SetObjLength called with shared object
Abort(coredump)
sndx>

I am wanting to just use it to handle an sftp transaction. This works fine on the original system I installed it on, but it has been over a year. So was there something else I needed to install? I haven't found any other dependencies for expect or tcltk searching the Internet. Am I missing something?

I assume it has something to do with a shared library, but I am not sure which one. Any ideas?

Roy
4 REPLIES 4
likid0
Honored Contributor

You can have dependecie problems.

for the tcltk-8.5.6-ia64-11.23.depot to work,
you need to have installed:

expat
fontconfig
freetype
gettext
libXft
libXrender
libiconv
zlib

Check if you have all these depots installed on the server.

Windows?, no thanks
Roy Richardson_1

That would seem to obvious answer, however, on the system that is working I am not seeing any of the other apps installed. Plus some of the apps pertain to Xwindows which we do not use.

So I installed all of the apps mentioned on the http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Tcl/tcltk-8.5.6/ mentioned as dependencies and unfortunately this did not resolve my issue.

Same result.

$ /usr/local/bin/expect
expect1.1> spawn
Tcl_SetObjLength called with shared object
Abort(coredump)
$

Roy
Roy Richardson_1

Okay. I called HP and this is strange, but it worked. The HP engineer discovered by renaming the history.tcl file the problem would go away. I tried moving the history.tcl file from the system that worked and it still failed. So as this doesn't seem to affect operations so far, I have simply renamed the history.tcl file to history.tcl.orig.

/usr/local/lib/tcktl/history.tcl

Renamed it and all worked as hoped.

Thank you.

Roy
Roy Richardson_1

As my previous response says, I was about to resolve the issue by renaming the history.tcl file. This solution was found by an HP engineer after I posted the issue with HP Support.

Roy