New Discussion юеВ

Re: extend the /( root) file system--

SOLVED
Go to solution
sam_25_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi ganesan

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, Unfortunaetly I dont have an Online Jfs installed on the system. I have checked the logs and i guess at the maximum I would be able to free up 5 mb of space.

Secondly I still have ample amount of space around 30 Gb for the Vg00 disk.

You are rite there is not much room for space as all the remaining files are improtant. But I still fail to understand how after my reboot the / usage increased from 74 % to 94 %

I would be going the notes fo r the ignite-recovery as I guess it would be the most feasible solution I beleive.

Thanks once again for your speedy reply & guidance, highly appreciate it.

Would keep you posted about the progress.

regards

Sam
sam_25_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your guidance, I have the seperate logical volume for my /home directory

Please find below the bdf details.

Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vg00/lvol3 262144 243536 18608 93% /

/dev/vg00/lvol1 314736 46240 237016 16% /stand

/dev/vg00/lvol8 10256384 2309992 7884992 23% /var

/dev/vg00/lvol7 2621440 1668560 945472 64% /usr
/dev/vg00/lvol4 4128768 567856 3533632 14% /tmp

/dev/vg00/lvol6 4128768 3834040 293424 93% /opt
/dev/vg00/lvol5 327680 140400 185864 43% /home
#

Thanks once again for your reply, kindly let me know if anything else I could do.

Thanks
Sam
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

1) Check the biggest directory in root (/):

# du -k -x | sort -rn | pg

2) Go to each big subdirectories (which will be listed on top, running
the above command) and check for bigger files there:

# find . -depth -xdev -size +1000 -print

3) Check and if you think the directories/files are not needed, move or
delete it.

Note: One common reason for root file system full is a big file in
/dev. If by mistake, somebdy gave /dev/rmt/Om instead of /dev/rmt/0m during
a backup, that might make the root file system full!

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

hi

as from the bdf O/P you are having a 250MB root!!.

better to think of increasing that asap using ingnite , pvmove lvol4,lvol5 to the other places etc and then exxtend the root LV /dev/vg00/lvol3 taking in the Single-user mode.

anyway the best way is to take thhe help of ignite of the server and ignite restore.

good that if ypu do not have the root disk as mirrored now , get a disk and get that mirriored the disk, take an ignite, take one of the mirrored disks out, do an ignite restore of the OS with the advanced option,, install OS with the larger root, swap , var ,opt , home , tmp and stand.

if all is good and the Ignite restore is good and the purpose is solved out in the mirror disk and re mirror.

mirroring a disk with the existing one, and keeping that aside helps you to have one more level of protection in case the ignite might not succeed. Then you can put in this disk and get the system up and running.

just few thoughts
sujit
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom,

250 MB root is a bit small but if there are no files in root, as there should not be, it should be sufficient.

I always liked to have root be 650 MB so it could handle an accidental dump of a cd to it, which often happened where I worked two jobs ago.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
sam_25_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Everyone,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Sorry once again for the delay in reply as I was not able to access net on the weekend.

I guess resizing the / root would be the best solution I belive as all of you'll have suggested the same. I am really not sure which other files I could move, as I am just been assigned this new project and I am failry new working on this server.

I have gone through few documents for taking the ignite-backup & restore, but i am not sure how to resize it.

I would be very greatful if anyone could help me in doing so, is there any specific format that I need to follow.

Sorry once again for the delay in replying, Seniors thanks once again for your ongoing support, you'll are always ready to help us out.

Regards

Sam
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

Ignite backup and restore has very few steps to follow. Go through this steps.

1. Check if you have ignite product installed.
#swlist |grep -i ignite

(If necessarey remove old one and install the latest ignite. Here you can download the latest ignite product. http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IGNITEUXB)

2. Run the below command to take ignite backup with interactive mode enabled.

#make_tape_recovery -Av -x inc_entire=vg00 -I

When the -I option is specified, booting from the tape will always present the interactive menus. This option is useful when making configuration changes during the recovery.

3.Once you have successfully taken the backup, boot from the tape and it will take you to HP-UX main menu.

In main menu -> Select HP-UX installation and Advance installation. You will be taken into user interface next, where you can modify filesystem sizes and other configurations. Goto filesytem tab and modify the filesytem sizes. Other settings you can leave it as it is. Continue to install, that will finish everything with modified filesystem sizes.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
sam_25_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ganesan,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs,
I have checked we have the ignite server configured, but have never used it yet. I would go through all the guideline provided. Thanks once again for your help, I sincerly appreciate it.

We have a script in place for the ignite server
===========================================

#!/usr/bin/ksh

uname -r > /tmp/uname.tmp

value=`cut -d"." -f3 /tmp/uname.tmp`

#put in if to look at end of script.

/opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery -s lathstg -a lathstg:/ignite-backup -x inc_entire=vg00 -n 2 > /tmp/ignitebackup.log

wait $!

value=`grep -c -i ERROR /tmp/ignitebackup.log`

if [ $value -gt 0 ]
then
cat /tmp/ignitebackup.log | mailx -s "Lath Ignite Backup"
fi
----------------------------------------

But have never used it,

Just a question instead of taking a backup on the tape can i take it on a shared nfs location and dump the output there.

Ganesan, thanks for all your help bro.

Regards

Sam
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Sam,

Yes.You can use it. But just make sure that the hardware is capable of booting over lan. Most of the hardwares having that ability except some old models. When you recover from the network image, you have two options.
One is boot from the client.This is called pull install. Other one is boot from the server. This is called push install. If the server does not have network boot capablity, then push install is the only option.

As per your script, you have ignite net backup on "lathstg" server. You can use that image to recover. Give the below command to boot from client on BCH menu.

BCH>boot lan. install

Just interact the booting and change the filesystem sizes as we descriped earlier.

Best wishes,

Ganesh.
sam_25_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi ganesan,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs, would do the same and update you.

ganesan, appreciate your sincere help& guidance.

Regards

Sam