108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: external hard drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

external hard drive

Is it difficult to set these up or can they just be plugged in to the USB connection. (futureshop.ca has an 320 gb on sale for $100) I like to back up my regular internal HD after noting that many HD's fail.
c'est la guerre
13 REPLIES 13
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

I think an external hard drive is just the greatest. Mine is a Maxtor, combined with Acronis True Image, I can update my backup in a few minutes every week or so. If I format my hard drive, I can download from the backup and be back in operation in less than a half hour. Otherwise it would be days reloading programs and getting back to where I lost all.
It should be very easy, however I had a problem with my windows program and I had to repair that before the external would work normally.
John
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi John, does Acronis True Image require a boot disk?
c'est la guerre
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

hi joe,

A free alternative is driver snapshot

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm

I've used this in the past and works great.

You can backup the entire OS if you want, but to restore it you will need a boot disk of course.

hope this helps,

regards,
hugo tigre
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Hugo,
I have Norton Partition Magic 8.0 can I partition this EHHD first? My pc HHD has three partitions, will they be tranferred to the EHDD or will they be erased?
c'est la guerre
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

i don't know if I understand what you want to do exactly, but you can make an image of the external Hard-drive and also of the internal hard-drive.

You can also choose if you want to do an image of only one partition or of the entire drive.

regards,
hugo tigre.
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

I want to copy/back up the pc hard drive on to the external one. The pc HDD drive is partitioned in three. 1) should/can I partition the external drive. 2) will the clone loose the partitions or should I attempt to clone each partition from the pc separately
c'est la guerre
Hugo Tigre
Trusted Contributor

ho,

if you backup to an image the entire drive, then when you restore it, it will delete the target drive and create the same structure as your original drive.

The best way for you to be sure, is to backup the entire drive, and then restore it to another drive just to test it, you can still keep the image as a backup. Off course the entire information of that drive will be replaced by the image content, which includes the partitions.

hope this helps,
hugo tigre
John Sutherland_1
Valued Contributor

You need some image software in order to place your entire hard drive in the external backup. Then you can replace your entire hard drive or pick certain select elements.
No need of another disk backup.
If you format your computer hard drive?
Restart Windows
Install your image software
Download from your external hard drive
You are back in business.
I have found sometimes some programs may need to be re installed, but aggravation is minimal
John
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

John and Hugo,
the external hard drive is formatted for nfts and shows in my computer as drive H. I do have Norton Partion magic 8.0, but when I tried (2 years ago or so)to partion my pc hard drive I screwed up and had to take it to a shop to fix. They made three partitions for me. I also have Norton ghost 2003, but when I tried to use that,the operation failed. I might just copy and paste the files I want to save and not worry about the OS and its programs.
I guess I am a sucker for buying programs to try and end up not being able to use.
Thanks a lot anyway.
c'est la guerre