BladeSystem - General
1752780 Members
6447 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fans reporting improper location in C7000 with all 10 fans installed?

Koopa
Frequent Advisor

fans reporting improper location in C7000 with all 10 fans installed?

I have a C7000 enclosure installed as follows.
BL685c in slots (1,9)(2,10)(3,11) then a gap and then BL465c in slots 5,6,7,13,14 and 15. I have all the interconenct bays 1-4 installed with cards, 2 OA's and 10 fans. now I don't know how long they've been like this, but the insight display is showing an ILO on the BL685c in slots 1,9 and it's show fan faults on fans 3,6 & 8.

When you log in on the OA (ver 2.20) it shows no details on fan 6. and it says improper location for fans 3 & 8. I have tried today replacing the fans, but it's still showing the same result. Any ideas, advise would be greatly apreciated.

I was thinking next course of action, reboot the OA's? (am I right in thinking the servers will still do there thing while this happens) and if that doesn't solve it, try replacing the mid plane?

9 REPLIES 9
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: fans reporting improper location in C7000 with all 10 fans installed?

Rmove and reseat the OAs, and the tray they plug in to. This can be done without impacting the running servers.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Update your BIOS and ILO firmware first before the OA firmware.

See
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-compmatrix.html
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

Sadly on my site, they will not upgrade the firmware unless you can prove that upgrading will fix the fault. So unless anyone can prove that upgrading will fix the issue, I wont be able to upgrade. i.e. I need the revision history in the firmware to say that the firmware will resolve the issue.
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Firmware often fixes more issues than what's listed in the revision history. Not upgrading firmware is a dangerous policy.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I'd agree with you Ken, Thats what i'd do, but then i'm not allowed too.

Also i've been informed that the OA's have been removed and placed back in, and that hasn't fixed the fault. So any other ideas?
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Did you reset the OA tray at the same time. If the OA tray doesn't do it, it's likely the firmware will.

Are you sure you don't have any bad fans? Try moving fans around, and see if the problem moves.

Log a call into HP support, I'm sure they'll tell you to upgrade the firmware too.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

I wasn't on site when they did last night, and no they didn't remove the tray. I've tried other fans in their places and they haven't worked
Koopa
Frequent Advisor

Just incase anyone gets this fault. It would appear replacing the mid plane has fixed it.