New Discussion юеВ

fbackup overwrites

SOLVED
Go to solution
shankar!
Frequent Advisor

fbackup overwrites

Hi,

I am trying with fbackup command to take the backup of /backup folder. here is the command I am executing,

fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i /backup/ -I index.dat

the backup was fine and I checked the files by this command

frecover -f /dev/rmt/0m -x -N -v

since there is much space on the tape, now that I am executing another backup folder after sometime, ex, fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i /backup2/ -I index.dat

this overwrites the old one. How can we keep the old backup files as it is and backup the new files?

Any idea?
Thanks
-Shankar
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: fbackup overwrites

I think you would be better off to just use a new tape. However, if you really need to do this, the first thing you're going to need to do is use the no-rewind device file /dev/rmt/0mn in your fbackup command. Obviously you will have to position the tape to the correct spot first using "mt fsf 1", I would think.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Shankar:

> this overwrites the old one. How can we keep the old backup files as it is and backup the new files?

You can specify any name you want for the backup's index file. You can *not* stack multiple backups on the same tape, if that is your question. The 'fbackup' utility begins by rewinding the tape. You have no control over this intentional design.

Regards!

...JRF...

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Shankar:

By the say, the manpages for 'fbackup' explicitly note that, "fbackup should not be used with no-rewind devices, for example, /dev/rmt/0mn."

Regards!

...JRF...

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

As already stated, fbackup WILL automatically rewind the tape every time.
You should not use the no-rewind device with fbackup.
Also, as of HP-UX 11iv3, fbackup/frecover/ftio are being deprecated, i.e. they will be removed in afuture release.
Users are being recommended to use the pax command.
man pax

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Well, so much for my thoughts on the matter. Obviously, as Jim and Melvyn point out, using the no-rewind device is not going to help. I'll have to stick with my initial comment that you ought to use a new tape.

Pete

Pete
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>melvyn: Users are being recommended to use the pax command.

I'm surprised HP doesn't just say you need to purchase an industrial grade backup product, instead of something with less capability like pax. See Bill's responses:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1160282
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=80742

I thought there was a recent thread mentioning other backup solutions??
shankar!
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I tried with no-rewind devices and it isn't working. The only option is to buy a new tape and run the backup command.

Thanks
-Shankar