108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: file system changes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josh_13
Super Advisor

file system changes

i know there was a change between 10.20 and 11i, but was the change between 10.20 and 11, or between 11 and 11i?
9 REPLIES 9
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

10.20 -> 11
32bit to 64 bit

11 -> 11i
olar, icod, dlkms, internet (apache)!, easier software licencing - via Operating Environments
ia64 processor support (11i v1.5)...
partitioning (superdome)

Faster C libs... apparently.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Josh:

Your question is just a touch ambiguous but I think you are referring to the changes in the vxfs filesystems. The good news is that even filesystems from 10.20 can be imported into 11x. 11.0 systems could have versions of vxfs 3.1 or 3.3. The major difference is that the later version supports ACL's. (Access Control Lists). 11.11 are all the later version but can handle the older versions. There is a utility to convert the older filesystems to the newer as well.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

In /usr/share/doc there are a lot of documents on each OS releases. Usually it covers a lot of aspect of the OS.
If you want more information.
Josh_13
Super Advisor

A.Clay:

thanx. we're trying to evaluate if we want to move to Ciscoworks 2000 from openview, however 2.x has a lot of problems and 3.x is for 11.0
since we have the installation disk for 11i we're trying to figure out if it is compatabile. i believe you answered the question and that it is.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Josh:

You asked the wrong question. You should have been asking about code compatibility. The code is upwardly compatible; even 10.20 code will run on 11.11 but the converse is not true.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Hi Josh,

Regarding the compatibility, I think you will be fine when upgrading to 11i. However, you can go through the documents and work arounds for any type of errors before doing so.

HTH,
Shiju
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt if the verion of the filesystem (vxfs 3.1 or 3.3 or vxvm if you buy it for 11i) will make a difference to the application. As far as I know they usually aren't dependent on a specific filesystem type.

Josh_13
Super Advisor

the write-up for CW2000 v3 says that it will not work on 10.20 but will on 11. that is why i thought it might be something with the file system.
Josh_13
Super Advisor

Clay: thanx. i'm pretty sure that's what we needed to know.

Shiju: since htey discontinued the hpux version, i don't thinkt here is any documented 11i problems and work arounds.

Patrick: i was asking about that because we were trying to figure out if it is the file system that was why it wouldn't work on 10.20.