108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: file transfer between two computers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

file transfer between two computers

I bought RJ45, it get into my laptop computer cable slite, but can not get into my desk top computer (I just remember there is 2 slites that should be the same as in my laptop computer, but it is not, both slites are the same size only for phone plug in). That is fine, because I plan to buy an new laptop computer.

The question is file transfer. I have some softwares in my old laptop computer, which I dont have a back up, so I need to entirely move the programs to new laptop computer, Do you think if this can be done by overcross cable?

Thanks!

Cheng
4 REPLIES 4
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you're discussing Windows Software, then it can't be transferred, it must go through an install procedure to transfer files into Windows\System32 and update the Registry.

If you want to transfer the install programs (programs that you've downloaded), then ...Yes, you can transfer those programs across a crossover cable. But, a slightly better solution would be to purchase a $15-$25 10/100 hub, and use standard cables. This will set you up for home networking when you get the new system in.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

Thanks!

So you mean the program like MSword, powerpoint, frontpage such software can be entirely transfer?

Thanks!

Cheng
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

no, installed software cannot be transfered in the method. there are programs that can do this, but they're gennerally not worth the cost.

it's probably better to get the install disks out anyways. as you'll have a clean reload, without all the cruft that has probably grown on your system.

computers "slow down" over the years for two reasons.
1) the owner sees newer faster gear and starts noticing previously imperceptable slowdowns as major slack.
2) the OS and other programs "grow" configuration settings and other cruft that that takes processing power to sift through.

There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
ranthony2cfl.rr.com
Regular Advisor

You might ghost an image of laptop's drive, burning the image (probably spanned) to CD, and then use the CD(s) to restore that image on the desktop. Image, not clone.
vitam largo et Deus omnipotens