1751957 Members
5359 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

filesystem or raw for Sybase tempdb?

Darren Gibbs
Advisor

filesystem or raw for Sybase tempdb?

Our Sybase dataserver currently has raw parititions allocated for table space and the tempdb on a VxFS filesystem. Our DBA asked if we'd turn on fs_async for this filesystem but everything I've read says fs_async is only available for HFS filesystems.

So...is the best place, from a performance perspective, for tempdb to reside on a raw partition or VxFS filesystem?
4 REPLIES 4
Jacob Lee
Occasional Contributor

Re: filesystem or raw for Sybase tempdb?

Sybase Tunning check point
User database=Raw partiton database device
Master and tempDB=UNIX file system database device
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Please read this MOST RECENT thread:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x8dd1cf38d6bdd5118ff10090279cd0f9,00.html

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Darren Gibbs
Advisor

Harry - Thanks for the response but it really doesn't help. I've read the detailed information from SAM about what fs_async is but I still have two questions? Is it for HFS filesystems only? Also, for those of you who have a similar environment to ours, what are people doing in real world for the Sybase tempdb?

BTW - This dataserver is on an rp8400, connected to an XP256 via Brocade Fibre switches. All storage in the XP256 is RAID-5.
Johan Bergwitz
Advisor

I would move the temdb area to a raw device. You already have the extra administration involved with raw devices and you would also gain in performance. This can be done within Sybase without shutting it down, ask your dba to do a 'disk mirror...' and then un-mirror from the primary disk device on the filesystem.

Rgds
Johan