1752320 Members
5335 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: force panic HP-UX

John Mannion
Occasional Advisor

force panic HP-UX

A colleague here wants to know if its possible to automatically force panic a HP-UX system. Both
the following have been tried, to no avail

adb -w /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem
proc/W 0

kill -9 1

Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Keane
Honored Contributor

try using dd into the swap LV?

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vg00/lvol2 bs=1024k

Worht checking using swapinfo that /dev/vg00/lvol2 IS your swap LV before trying this?

But if you force a panic, you might corrupt a filesystem in the process.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Issue a TOC from the MP/GSP?
Do you have Serviceguard installed and running?
If so do a kill -9 on the cmcld process

But the I guess it would be interesting to know why you want to do this.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Go to MP and Enter into Command Menu and issue TC (Reset through transfer of control (TOC))

MP:CM>TC

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
John Mannion
Occasional Advisor

My colleague is working on availablility measurement tool which looks at various types of system outages and calculates availability metrics which culminate in availability reports.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The best way is to use the processor ROMs (CTRL-B on the console) and choose whether you want to simply force a reboot or actually create a crashdump on the test system. On the network, the effect is identical--the machine simply stops responding. Since it sounds like the measurement tool is looking at several systems (most likely from the network), you don't need to create a panic condition, just pull out the LAN cable.

Now if the measurement tool actually runs on the target system, note that all system crashes (for *any* OS) halt everything, and nothing (repeat: nothing) will be logged because the system has crashed. For HP-UX, a detected panic condition (versus a CPU failure or power failure) will start a crash dump based in the processor ROMs. Once complete, the system reboots and the savecrash startup script will see if the designated dump area has a new crash dump. If so, the time stamp of the crash is saved in /etc/shutdownlog, the only record of the crash. So the measurement tool won't be able to report anything until after the system reboots if it resides on the affected system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90702/ch05s05.html#babjghig
Performing a Transfer-of-Control (TOC) Reset of a Partition
=====
You can use the GSP command menu's TC command to perform a transfer-of-control (TOC) reset on a partition.

If crash dump is configured for HP-UX on the partition, when you TOC the partition while it is running HP-UX the partition performs a crash dump and gives you an opportunity select the type of dump.
=====