Operating System - Microsoft
1748198 Members
2581 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: format hard drive without a recovery disk?

christina hoffman

format hard drive without a recovery disk?

How do you set your lap top back to manufactures orginal format if you don't have the recovery disk?
5 REPLIES 5
Khalid A. Al-Tayaran
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You can't do it without the CD.
But there is anotherway. Get a Win98 boot disk. Boot your system and install from a Windows CD.

Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Another way is to call the 1-800 number for the manufacture of the laptop and give them the serial #. They should be able to send you the Original Restoration CD.

Thanks
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
christina hoffman

i have a pre installed windows me. If i reformat the drive, will this reset my hard drive back to pre installation or will i have to buy a full version of windows to put on it?
Robert_134
Advisor

Yeah.. you'll need to get the disk from the OEM or someone that has one.

No.. Formating will delete everything unless it's with the manufacturers disk (the one you don't have).

Can I ask.... what is your goal? Did you want some software that was installed previously? Or, do you just want to start over?

Thxs,
Rob
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hello again,
Your question:
*If i reformat the drive, will this reset my hard drive back to pre installation or will i have to buy a full version of windows to put on it? *

Once you format your Hard Drive, it is over with. Everything will be gone.
Be careful before you do that because you might need the Original Restoration CD to retain everything back to normal.

Could you please let me know, what are you trying to do?
Thanks.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003