New Discussion юеВ

free partitioning software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

free partitioning software

Hi,

I had installed linux on my pc. Now i wanted to install windows 2003 server. But it is not allowing me to recreate partitions for 2003.

Is there any partitioning software available so that i can delete the existing partitions and reformat the hard disks to install windows 2003 os ?

Thanks,
Shiv
4 REPLIES 4
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: free partitioning software

do you still have your linux install media?
if you start to re-install linux, one of the first things it does is run the partitioning software (disk druid/parted)
Choose the advanced option, and you will be able delete existing partitions.
Phil
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Shiva,

If you have your Linux CD or Windows CD, no need to worry about the seperate partitioning software.

Just insert your windows installation CD, and power on the computer, it will automatically gives the option to reformat and partition your hard disk. Partition it, then format the partition and choose any partition to install windows or any other OS.
OR as Phil said, just re-install linux, it will gives same options to partition and format the hard disk.

Once you done the partition, then you can install Linux in one partition and windows 2003 in other partiton.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Shiva,

If you want keep your existing Linux with your valuable data, and want to create the new partition to install win 2003, then there are so many partitioning software available in the net.

You can move the partition, Re-size the partition without DATA loss.

There is a Partition Manager from Paragon...
http://www.partition-manager.com/index.htm?sourceID=DW
and you find many more in the net.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
inventsekar_1
Respected Contributor

HI shivkumar,

as others told,
if u start windows installation, it will ask the partions u want to create and it will create it for u.

if have enough space, u can keep linux as well as u can install windows, so that while logging in u can select which os to login.
Be Tomorrow, Today.