New Discussion юеВ

Re: fsadm failed due to 100%

SOLVED
Go to solution
kholikt
Super Advisor

fsadm failed due to 100%

Hi,

When I tried to extend a filesystem that is 100% full using fsadm I got the following errors.

fsadm: attempt to resize /dev/vgtradat/rlvtradata2 failed with errno 28

The problem is the file system is too full. I just wondering can I umount this filesystem and using extendfs instead of fsadm since this filesystem contain the oracle database datafile I cannot move it.
abc
9 REPLIES 9
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

do u have online JFS? with that, u should be able to use fsadm without un-mounting the file system.

also, if u have online JFS, was your steps as follows?

# lvextend -L "size in MB" dev/vgtradat/lvtradata2
# fsadm -F vxfs -b "size in kb" "mount point"

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
kholikt
Super Advisor

as I mentioned earlier that the file system is too full and I cannot extend it online
abc
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

so, u have online JFS. in order for online JFS to work, u need to have some free space in that file system before u attempt to extend online.

understand that there are oracle datafiles in that file system. will it be possible to reduce some of the datafiles, i.e. those with more free tablespace, then run online afterwhich u may increase the tablespace again. also, u may like to check if there are any core files in that file system.

if that is not possible, u have to shutdown the database and unmount the filesystem before extending.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hi man

Why don't you "extendfs" instead of fsadm?
Normally, when you use fsadm command, it will recreate all that LV.
And another idea:
Try with fsck command to check consistency and interactive repair.

Goodluck!
HoangChiCong
Looking for a special chance.......
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

With OnlineJFS, you use 'fsadm -b' to extend a file system online. However, there must be some space free in order for it to work. Is there any way you can move a file to another directory temporarily so you can get back below 100%? If you can do that, you'll then be able to use fsadm to extend the file system. You can then move the file back to where it should be.
Dwyane Everts_1
Honored Contributor

kholikt,

With all this royalty answering your posting, I'm not sure a Hogwarts wizard, like myself, has anything better to offer you. :) However, here is my recommendation:

As stated the FS is 100%, and since it is an Oracle datafile, moving it is not an option. Therefore, fsadm is not an option.
Also, you mentioned umount and extendfs as an option; which leads me to believe booting into Single-user mode is an option.
Therefore, I recommend booting into single-user mode, using extendfs to increase your size, booting back to your normal runlevel...and living life as carefree as possible until Oracle fills up the directory again. Should take about 5 minutes, right? The resource hogs! ;)
Here are a couple links to help answer questions further, if you need them:

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000065011408

http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000076281315

Hope this helps...
Dwyane

PS...hope I haven't offended anyone, all comments in good fun... :) All royalty needs a court gester :)
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You can not increase a filesystem online if it is 100% full - you need to free up just a wee bit.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Take a look with this thread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/publicProfile.do?userId=CA610806&forumId=1
"assigned points to 178 of 669 responses"
You need to assign point to everyone who takes time to help you.

0 point for this thread!
Thanks
Looking for a special chance.......
Peter Unger
Occasional Advisor

Yes you can extend with OnlineJFS even the FS is 100% full.

Do not extend more than juse one PE/LE. Each time just add one PE. The reason is when you start extending the LVM tries to extend the LVM structures first and after than Data. if the FS is 100% you have to extend just with one PE.

very easy with lvmextend. and after lvmextend use fsadm also.[after extending with one PE]. and repeat this extending with 1PE as many times as you want to extend that filesystems.
No umounting is necessary and it is not necessary to use extendfs if you have OnlineJFS installed on the system.

If this doesn't help than I'm affraid that you don't have OnlineJFS or the FS is filled too much. But whenever I tried to extend with one PE and fsadm that mountpoint event the FS was 100% it was possible.

Please try it and provide feedback if it has helped to you.