108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: general questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

general questions

I would like to know if and when it would be necessary to update the bios, or is it never required. Is it common to have a dual bios system.
c'est la guerre
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Joe:

Happy holidays.

There are different schools of thought re: BIOS upgrading. I like to upgrade the BIOS on my systems whenever a new BIOS is released (probably because I believe I can fix anything -- in the event there is a problem). Most people believe you should only upgrade the BIOS if there's a problem on your system and you believe the BIOS upgrade will fix the problem.

As to "dual BIOS", I've never heard of it. Is it possible you mean 'dual boot'? That means a system which can boot either of 2 operating systems, such as either Windows 98 or Windows 2000.

Hope this helps.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

It is generally unnecessary to update the bios for a desktop PC. I don't know about HP/Compaq, but Dell publishes a list of specific problems that a particular bios revision is supposed to fix. Sometimes a particular add-in component (for instance a new video adapter) will require a minimum bios revision. This is more of an issue as the PC gets older.

There tend to be more bios revisions for laptops than for desktops. And I think it is more likely that a typical user will be helped by a laptop bios upgrade.

If there is a power failure during a flash bios upgrade, there is a good chance that the motherboard will be unusable and need to be replaced. A power failure is unlikely, but there is a risk.

I have never heard of a dual bios system.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Thanks Jay and Roger. It is definitely dual bios, it is on a Gigabyte KT 400 series motherboard Other info: AGP8X/FSB333 on the schematic drawing it shows a main bios and right beside it a backup bios.
Happy New Year to all on the forum.
c'est la guerre
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

The following quote is from the Gigabyte website:

GIGABYTE Patent DualBIOSTM
GIGABYTE patented DualBIOS? technology protects BIOS from virus. With the innovative backup BIOS design, this platform provides a double security thus assuring the PC stability.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Joe:

Here's a link to one Gigabyte motherboard that utilizes Gigabyte's patented "Dual BIOS":

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-7VAX.htm

Here's an excerpt from a Gigabyte motherboard manual:

Q: What is DualBIOSTM technology?
Answer: DualBIOS technology is a patented technology from Giga-Byte Technology. The concept of this technology is based on the redundancy and fault tolerance theory. DualBIOSTM technology simply means there are two system BIOSes (ROM) integrated onto the motherboard. One is a main BIOS, and the other is a backup BIOS. The mainboard will operate normally with the main BIOS, however, if the main BIOS is corrupt or damaged for various reasons, the backup BIOS
will be automatically used when the system powered-On. Your PC will operate as before the main BIOS was damaged, and is completely transparent to the user.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

I have a dual bios system at home. I wish all my systems had it. I have never updated it in the last 4 years but have used it. If the system got corrupted, I told it to boot from the secondary. If it started after booting from the secondary then I told it to copy the first from the second.
I wouldn't change anything unless it is needed or very old and you plan on using it for new apps and hardware.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Dual Bios chip is usualy used to allow a on-line firmware upgrade, you can flash the firmware from your OS, and activate it with a later reboot. this is also used on the HP servers nowadays..

As already stated, read the technicals notes that are published with the new Firmware versions in order to see if this new version will be usefull for your system.

marino