Frequent Advisor

get exit code of a command executed by nohup

Hi,
I have a script to create a compressed export file from Oracle with this lines:
if [ ! -p /tmp/exp_pipe ]; then
mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p
fi
nohup compress $TMP_EXPORTFILE &

exp system/manager file=/tmp/exp_pipe full=y feedback=10000 compress=y direct=y consistent=y >>$TMP_LOGFILE 2>>$TMP_LOGFILE

reading mails sent by crontab, I saw that compress fail with segmentation error, but export run till the end without problem reporting successful completition.

how can I check the exit code of 'compress' command running in background by nohup command?

Thankyou
8 REPLIES 8
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: get exit code of a command executed by nohup

If you encapsulate the compress command into a script and nohup the script :
script :
compress $TMP_EXPORTFILE
rc=$?
echo "return code for compress " $rc >>

nohup script > script.out 2>&1 &

Regards,
Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Try $? straight after the compress

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

With nohup, you are protecting the process (compress) from being aborted when the parent exits. With &, you separate the process from the parent so naturally there will be no meaningful return code. The reason is that nohup ... & returns immediately to the parent and of course, it will report all is well because the process was started OK. If you need to monitor the success of a background process, you'll need to script it to store a code that can be tested.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paolo,
a quick solution may be:
nohup compress $TMP_EXPORTFILE 2>errfile &
tail -f errfile

In this way you will see in real time the error coming from the compress

HTH
Art
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just a note about tail -f: it is really designed for a terminal where you watch the monitored data stream, and it runs forever until it is sent a kill signal. In a script, it is quite complicated to handle this condition. Just take stdout and stderr and route them to a file, then check the contents once the compress job is complete. One way to check is to use fuser compressed_file_name.Z and while compression is running, fuser will report the process ID for the compress process, then nothing when it is done.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

Don't have time to verify, but doesnt compress hangs on 2Gb files ? How large is your export file ?

If this is the case, you should either pipe to split before compress, or choose an other compress utility such as gzip (which compresses better).

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)
Paolo Gilli
Frequent Advisor

Hello,
thank to all for the answers to my question.
Fred: you are right, compress hangs on 2Gb files(tested on HP-UX 11.0). The oracle istance I have to export, running on Linux RH AS 2.1 and the compress problem occours when the export.Z files size is about 340/360Mb. As you suggested, using gzip instead compress I have no problem but I need to check the result of compress operation.
So as Bill and Jean-Luc wrote, I will script the background process to store a code that can be tested.

Regards
Paolo
Fred Ruffet
Honored Contributor

I worked with gzip for a while and had no problem to compress/decompress (no corruption of export file).

If you search for better compression, you should have a look at bzip2, which compresses a bit slower but better than gzip (no corruption problem either)

Regards,

Fred
--

"Reality is just a point of view." (P. K. D.)