108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

groups and nis

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Kelly_5
Valued Contributor

groups and nis

I have two HPUX 11i systems, one with NIS and one without.
If I run /usr/bin/groups on the NIS system it prints the groups I'm in but the group names are truncated to 8 characters.
If I run it on the non-NIS system, the full group names are printed.

Is this is 'feature' or a bug?

Other info.
If I call groups |-p|-g on either system it prints the full group name(s).
groups -l on the NIS system prints nothing regardless of whether /etc/logingroup is linked to /etc/group or not.
groups -l on the non-NIS system behaves like groups -g if /etc/logingroup is linked to /etc/group and prints nothing if it is not (which I would assume to be the correct behaviour).

Regards,
Michael.
The nice thing about computers is that they do exactly what you tell them. The problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them.
4 REPLIES 4
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: groups and nis

It's more likely a bug .. I think.. we have no such problem of truncated group names in either 11.00,11i or 10.20. Take a look at this patch .. 11i PHCO_28007 (pwgrd cumulative). You would find somewhere in the description of this patch about pwgrd truncating the rest of the chars in group name if it's more than 8. This patch may be just what you need.
nemesis_1

PHCO_24586:
1.pwgrd(1M) does not store groupnames having more than 8 characters correctly...

PHCO_28563 is the latest available superceding patch, and will do the trick as well.

nemesis_1

PHCO_24586:
1.pwgrd(1M) does not store groupnames having more than 8 characters correctly...

PHCO_28563 is the latest available superceding patch, and will do the trick as well.

Michael Kelly_5
Valued Contributor

Thanks to both of you.
A newer version of pwgrd fixed the problem.

Regards,
Michael.
The nice thing about computers is that they do exactly what you tell them. The problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them.