4881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

gunzip oracle

afshin
Occasional Contributor

gunzip oracle

hello
Why am I getting this error when trying to gunzip this.
lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz
:

invalid compressed data--crc error

any help would be appreciated
tnx
Afshin
6 REPLIES 6
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Re: gunzip oracle

Hi,

It sounds like gunzip thinks you have a bad file. Make sure that the version of gunzip you are using is at least the same version or higher than the version used to create the .gz file. Other than that, you'll probably have to recreate the file or try to get another copy.

JP
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

I had the same message on RH7.3, and couldn't fix it.
It happened that I hadn't enough swap space (256Mo). How much do you have ?
I'll try on RH 9.0 w 1Go Swap and let you know.
JH
You can lean only on what resists you...
Paddy_1
Valued Contributor

sometimes just the "gz" preix gets attached and treating the file as if "gz" doesnt exist solved my problem a couple of times.might not work but not harm in tryin either
The sufficiency of my merit is to know that my merit is NOT sufficient
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

I did it at home... funny to see that I get the same message on RH 8.0 and 9.0 if my swap is less than the archive, and my disk space less than twice it (1055 mbytes for disk 1).
Check your values. You could put rous first unzips elsewhere in between, as I do not see this problem happening on cpio phase.
HTH
JH
You can lean only on what resists you...
Bill Douglass
Esteemed Contributor

Try using the file command:

file lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz

It will tell you if the file is really gzipped or not. Sometimes a file will get uncompressed as part of the download, but the filename will be left unchanged. This giver you an uncompressed file with a compressed file extension.
Alex_133
Advisor

I had exactly the problem, I removed the .gz file extention and did a cpio on the file, it worked just fine. I belive that was because of IE decompress the gz file without renaming it.

Good luck!