1752746 Members
4774 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hardware components of the notebok Compaq Presario 2100 2156EA

roberto_58
Occasional Contributor

hardware components of the notebok Compaq Presario 2100 2156EA

Hi, I'd like to know the name of the video card and the monitor of my notebook because the installation program of Red Hat 9 says that the video card detected is Ati Mobility Radeon U1 and the monitor isn't detected.

Is this video card detected correct ?

Wich is my monitor ?

Does exists compatibility between my components and the "Red Hat 9 Hardware Compatibility List" at link:
http://www.redhat.com/software/linux/technical/hcl/ ?

Many thanks.By at all, Roberto
7 REPLIES 7
Regis Boudin
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I guess that like other laptop from the 2100 series, yours has an ATI IGP chipset. This chipset is not yet properly detected by XFree86, but will be in the next release.

Meanwhile, you can try using the vesa driver.

Regards,

Regis
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

usually, when you monitor couldn't be detected, selecting one of the 'Generic' monitors from the list works. If I'm not going wrong, there are generic monitors for every resolutions.

Ciao
Claudio
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Roberto:

The Compaq Presario 2156EA DOES have an ATI Mobility Radeon U1 (more accurately called a RadeonIGP 320M). Many distros can identify this video adapter, but can't correctly configure it. The best thing to do during installation is to choose the VESA (generic) (or Generic VESA--I can't remember which) for the video card, and Generic laptop display 1024x768. Then after you have things installed, you can go back and do some manual configuration of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file to try using a radeon driver. You can find more detail about this process at my site:

http://www.cybersym.com/pages/linux-ze4100.html

Although, the ze4100 has a RadeonIGP 340M, I've used the same procedure on a coworker's notebook that has a RadeonIGP 320M.

Bruce
Enrico_17
Occasional Contributor

Hi!

(I'm Italian too)
Could you make me know please what solution did you adopt for XFree86 at the end? I have the same notebook(2156EA with ATI 64M shared DDR) and RedHat 8.0 with X 4.2.

Thank you very much.

Enrico.
Caesar_3
Esteemed Contributor

Hello!

First does your X server runs ok?
Set the monitor to the values that most neer
to your parameters of the monitor.

Caesar
Enrico_17
Occasional Contributor

Hello!

My X server seems to run ok, because when I am under KDE it is all ok! It restarts only after 30-45 seconds after the CTRL-ALT-Fx...
I have X 4.2 and kernel 2.4.18. I'm thinking to upgrade to 4.3 and 2.4.21. Maybe this could solve?

Thnaks.
roberto_58
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I have used the configuration for XFree86 from
http://www.wsu.edu/~ice124/ and my ATI IGP320M have been configurated!
I find still the configuration for my monitor because I have used a generic monitor.
Thanks at all.
Ciao, Roberto