108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: heatsink fan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

heatsink fan

The heatsink fan of the North bridge chipset makes lately a lot of noise and makes the case vibrate. Can I just replace the fan or do I need to replace the heatsink as well. I looked at the motherboard and it seems that the heat sink is permanently attached to the motherboard, can that even be replaced?. The motherboard is a Gigabyte KT 400 series, AGP8X/FSB333
c'est la guerre
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

The fan is most likely glued or screwed onto the heatsink. You can usually buy a fan and some compound and be good to go. You might want to check pc repair places, they usually will sell used fans for about $5.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

This fan is screwed to the heatsink, so I can just replace the fan and it is not neccessary to replace the whole unit? I had to order the complete heatsink/fan because they did not sell them seperately in my city.
c'est la guerre
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Joe & Michael:
When researching for this post, I ran across a 'no fan' heatsink ... is it any good?
Tom
Learn From History
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor
Solution

Sorry, here it is:
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/nb47j.html
Tom
Learn From History
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

You can just replace the fan, but make sure you get a good one. At the moment, I can't remember which is better -- sleeve, bearingless, or micro-bearing... . One of them is cheap, one of them is quiet, one of them is fast, and one of them is reliable...
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Good article Tom, but my expertise with pc hard ware is too limited to try to remove the heatsink it self. I have ordered the original equipment heatsink/fan and will just detach the fan and replace the defective one. Thanks to all who replied.
c'est la guerre