5008 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hotswap disks on linux

franco andrao
Occasional Contributor

hotswap disks on linux

I need to specify better my question!!
I need to mirror two or more hot swap disks on a LC3 within linux oS. The raid disk are working perfectly but I need to rotate more disks and so i need that the mirroring goes automaticly on linux os not at the start of the bios of the raid controller. I don't know if i can configure the hardware to do that without rebooting the system or there are some software on linux (2.2.14). Thanks for any suggestion
2 REPLIES 2
AJ Hettema
Occasional Advisor

Re: hotswap disks on linux

What do you really want? Hardwarebase mirroring (with RAID) or software mirroring (is possible with LVM). Is is also possible to do software mirroring with a sort of RAID, but it is not clear to me what you want.
Hardware RAID is the best solution for redundancy and performance matters. The RAID controllers from HP (1si and further) are supported in Linux (they're AMI controllers), and there is even a little tool to manage youre controller and the disks on it. Try to be more specific in your question. When the question is more clear, I think I'am able to help you.
Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfullness and the greatest enjoyment of life is to live dangerously.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Re: hotswap disks on linux

lvm-0.8-0 (current) does not support mirroring. Veritas may have a purchased product available for Linux though. It sounds like you have hardware based mirroring available, but you have not mentioned the raid controller that you are using. What is possible will be governed by the hardware.