Operating System - HP-UX
1753291 Members
5809 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how can I move the oracle software to the storage disk?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Deanna Tran_1
Frequent Advisor

how can I move the oracle software to the storage disk?

When i first install oracle, I placed the oracle software on the HP internal disk, but now I want to move it to the storage how can I do that? do i have to do another installation ?
15 REPLIES 15
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Deanna,

You can use pvmove to do this. First add the external disk to the same vg on which oracle is stored and then use pvmove to move the lv from the internal disk to the external disk.

Try these links,

http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000058669146

http://support2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000060353648

Hope this helps.

Regds
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First add the new disk in the same volume group using vgextend.

#vgextend /dev/vg02 /dev/dsk/c#t#d#

# pvmove /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /dev/dsk/c#t#d# ( destination)

Piyush

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I don't think you need to reinstall. After you move the Oracle base directory where you need it, anything that references ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_BASE etc would need fixing. At the least you would need to fix the .profile for the Oracle user. You would have to change the ORACLE_BASE and ORACLE_HOME etc. If /etc/oratab exists, you would need to fix the paths in that file as well. On the other hand, you could move the Oracle base directory and create a symbolic link at the original location. For example you could do this in the original directory after you move the oracle directory: ln -s /mystorage/oracle oracle

Then you dont need to change any references.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Ok. To move Oracle to the storage, my best recommendation would be to move your current installation into a temporary area, mount a directory from your storage into the original path, and move the data from temp area back onto the original path.

If you want to change the ORACLE_HOME completely, you will have to relink the binaries after setting your enviroment variables for the new installation. Be warned though, that there is a hardcoded path in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/nmliblist that will need to be changed if you decide to move the ORACLE_HOME. I would recommend not moving it unless absolutely necessary.

Brian
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

On the other hand. It probably is just as easy to shut the database down. Reinstall the software where you want it. Fix your env variables to point to the new locations (probably in .profile and oratab). You can then just start up the database with the newly installed software.
Deanna Tran_1
Frequent Advisor

thank you for those suggestions. However, I should clarify what I wish to accomplish.
I 'd like to have 1 software on the HP internal disks and 1 software on the storage.
is there a way that I could make the copy?
or it will be much easier for me to install the software?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
Do you want two oracle instances or just two copies of the same instance. In the first case you not need to copy anything but create a new instance, this is a oracle task. In the second case is not so easy as there are information in the oracle database about certain file locations.
Deanna Tran_1
Frequent Advisor

hi...
here is the desire setting that I'd like to have
1st instance = 1 database = software is located on the internal disks...
2nd instance = new database = software would like to be on the external disks...
What is the easiest way to accomplish this task?
Jonathan Baker
Advisor

There are a couple of ways. Once the new disk has been added, I would recommend that you install a new copy of the binaries, so that you have a valid oraInventory for the new set. If you do this you have to rename the file /var/opt/oracle/orainst.loc. Once the new Oracle is installed you can either create the new instance from scratch, or you can copy the datafiles from your other instance and recreate the control files to get an exact copy of the data.