Operating System - HP-UX
1747984 Members
4569 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how can I move the oracle software to the storage disk?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
If you want the same Oracle version on the both instances you don' need (and I dont think it is recommended) to install (or copy) the oracle binaries. It is perhaps possible but I think you will get problem. All you need is to create a new instance (database), this needs several steps but all is done with the Oracle Server Manager, there is both a CLI and a GUI version (svrmgrl and svrmgrm). Whith this tool you also have the option to select on which disks (volumes) your database files should be located.
I have one Oracle server with 3 instances running bur there is only one copy of the Oracle binaries.

It is another case if you want to create the instances with different Oracle versions (for example Oracle 8 and 9). In this case you need two installations, but you should be very careful if installing two different Oracle versions on the same server.
Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

Deanna,

I have to agree that it does not make much sense to have two copies of the software if they will both be the same version. I also have multiple instances running from one installed ORACLE_HOME. This is the "standard" approach. Do you have a reason that you want two copies of the software? If you explain the reasoning, maybe we can come up with better suggestions.
Deanna Tran_1
Frequent Advisor

hi jeannine,
To answer your question, the purpose of wanting the software to be on external disk...is to allow us to test what happens when it's on the external disks and we do error recovery?
What will be reason for the oracle to crash?

Jeanine Kone
Trusted Contributor

If you are asking what could cause Oracle to crash, I would say:

Disk failure (if you are not using some sort of RAID5 or mirroring) that causes loss of database files (control file, datafiles, or redo logs)

Hardware problems: i.e. CPU failure or something else that might cause the whole system to go down. In this case though, your database will most likely come up just fine once the problem is fixed.

User Error - for example: accidental deltion of datafile files.

It has been a long time (years) since I have had any of my Oracle databases crash due to software bugs or general instability (except the one database we had on NT - which I blame on the instability of NT as opposed to Oracle).

Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
Perhaps this can work for you if your "original" Oracle installation is in a single directory tree (for ex. /home/oracle).

- Shut down the database.
- For security, take a cold backup of the Oracle installation.
- Create a filesystem on the external disk and mount it on a temporary directory (for ex.
/disk1)
- Go to the Oracle directory (/home/oracle), copy evrything to the temporary directory (find . -print |cpio -pdvmux /disk1).
- Umount the external disk from the temporary directory.
- Mount the disk on /home/oracle.
- Startup the Oracle instance.
- Now Oracle is running on the external disk and you can test anything you want witout risk for the "original" installation.
- After finishing your tests, shutdown again, unmount the external disk, startup Oracle, and you are back to the "original".

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

Deanna,
A failure will involve the instance (database) not the Oracle software itself. You just need to make a test instance for this purpose where convenient. This instance can sit on the same disks as your production database, but with its own folders for the datafiles. ex: /u01/oradata/PROD, /u01/oradata/TEST etc.