1753828 Members
8612 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how can make pration in hp DL380

shabeer_1

how can make pration in hp DL380

HI all
i want install redhat ES4 in HpDL 380 server with 3 harddisk(72.8GB)for squid application

i need how can make partition in that one

how much spce i need give /,/boot,/var etc

please help me
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Use Logical Volume Manager during installation. This will give you flexibility and the possibility of resize the filesystem if you need it.

Normally I will use:

/boot 150MB
swap = RAM
/ = 6 GB
/tmp = 1 GB (noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/var = 40 GB (Here is where the logs and the squid cache is stored)

Then, you have some free space (spare space) to modify the size of the filesystems if one become low of space. In this partition scheme no user information is stored so a /home partition/volume is not needed.

Remember to modify the cache_dir squid option to increase the size of the cache.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
shabeer_1

hi

thanks for the information

but when i starting hpdl 380 server with smart array cd i couldnt find out linux os in the selectable OS list

so how can make install and make the partitions with Hardware Raid 5 or is there any way to amke raid

please give me detailed answer am really in trouble
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

First, you must understand some hardware RAID terminology:
- physical volume: an actual hard disk, accessed through a hardware RAID controller. The only way the OS can know about these is to send a physical volume status query to the RAID controller. Generally only the hardware RAID drivers and/or management utilities can do that.

- logical volume: either a single physical volume or a combination of several physical volumes (using any desired RAID level) presented to the OS as a single disk. This is what the OS sees as a "disk".

(If you use LVM, it will use similar terms with a different meaning. A RAID logical volume may be partitioned and contain one or more LVM physical volumes. Confusing...)

If the RAID controller is not configured, it will not present any logical volumes at all. Then the OS installation program won't be able to detect any hard disks in the system, as the real disks are "locked" behind the RAID controller.

So, you must first configure the RAID controller to present the disks the way you want them (maybe one large RAID5 array, or one RAID1 mirror set and a single extra disk, or even a RAID0 set of three disks if speed is more important than fault tolerance).

Power on the system and watch the start-up messages. When the SmartArray RAID controller is starting up, press F8 to access RAID setup. The RAID setup interface is very simple: as the system is not installed, you can just delete the configuration and try again if something goes wrong.

After the RAID controller configuration is done, the system will re-start. Watch the start-up messages: the RAID controller will say something like "2 logical volumes activated" (the number depends on how you configured the RAID controller). Now the OS installer can find the disks and install the OS, so just insert the OS installation CD and boot the system using it. The RedHat ES4 installation will offer you a nice partitioning tool.

After the OS installation is complete, get the HP management drivers and utilities from
http://www.hp.com/go/support

If you configured your disks to use RAID1 or RAID5, you should configure the management utilities to send an email or otherwise alert you when a physical disk fails. Otherwise you're likely not to notice the first disk failure, as the system will keep working as usual with one non-functional disk. When the *second* disk fails, you will definitely notice the system is having problems... and you'll wish you had noticed the first failure.

Remember that RAID0 does not tolerate disk failures: its purpose is to make a set of disks faster to access than a single disk. But if one disk in a RAID0 set fails, you'll lose everything.

RAID1+0 is a combination of RAID0 and mirroring (RAID1): it should be both fast and safe. To get a real RAID1+0, you'll need four disks at least. Some SmartArray RAID controllers will list the RAID form of a single pair of disks as RAID1+0: it means it's currently a simple RAID1, but you can extend it to RAID1+0 if you add more disks later.

MK
MK