1753532 Members
5233 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to install a bin file

iamthestar
Advisor

how to install a bin file

i need to install a bin package in linux, can anyone please tell me how to install it so that i can see it in my Application\multimedia menu in suse 10.
6 REPLIES 6
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Is it a RPM Package? USe with rpm -ivh to install it. If it is a binary then create a short cut to that binary.

-Muthu
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Some software (some versions of Java as far as I remember) was packages under some executable with .bin extension - in this case you should just run some_software.bin

Rgds,
Vitaly
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

you should grant executive permision to file with "chmod" chmod 777 /path-to-file/file.bin

After that you can execute the file; sometimes .bin programes,after excute phase, show you some text about licence agreement. And after you accept its terms, it will generate a rpm package and you can install it with rpm -i
However,on other cases, you have to execute .bin file for complete installation.

Alireza
Vipulinux
Respected Contributor

Hi

to run the bin ( eg abc.bin) file do the following:
1. cd to the diredctory where the file is
2. ./abc.bin
if this doesnt run
do chmod 755 abc.bin

Hope this helps

Cheers
iamthestar
Advisor

Guys i know how to install a .bin package, but i need to know how can i see it in the Menu(Applications>Multimedia>Audio>RealPlayer) like how you go to programs in windows.

please let me know.
thank you!
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

I hope, this article http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oct05/features/freedesktop/ Integrating your applications into the desktop
will help you.