Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to install a bin file

iamthestar
Advisor

how to install a bin file

i need to install a bin package in linux, can anyone please tell me how to install it so that i can see it in my Application\multimedia menu in suse 10.
6 REPLIES
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Re: how to install a bin file

Is it a RPM Package? USe with rpm -ivh to install it. If it is a binary then create a short cut to that binary.

-Muthu
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Some software (some versions of Java as far as I remember) was packages under some executable with .bin extension - in this case you should just run some_software.bin

Rgds,
Vitaly
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

you should grant executive permision to file with "chmod" chmod 777 /path-to-file/file.bin

After that you can execute the file; sometimes .bin programes,after excute phase, show you some text about licence agreement. And after you accept its terms, it will generate a rpm package and you can install it with rpm -i
However,on other cases, you have to execute .bin file for complete installation.

Alireza
Vipulinux
Respected Contributor

Hi

to run the bin ( eg abc.bin) file do the following:
1. cd to the diredctory where the file is
2. ./abc.bin
if this doesnt run
do chmod 755 abc.bin

Hope this helps

Cheers
iamthestar
Advisor

Guys i know how to install a .bin package, but i need to know how can i see it in the Menu(Applications>Multimedia>Audio>RealPlayer) like how you go to programs in windows.

please let me know.
thank you!
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

I hope, this article http://www.redhat.com/magazine/012oct05/features/freedesktop/ Integrating your applications into the desktop
will help you.