1748108 Members
5015 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to mount dvd in hp-ux?

rdiaz
Frequent Advisor

how to mount dvd in hp-ux?

I have burned dvd with patches of oracle, and when I try to mount them, I get the following error:

mount -o rr /dev/disk/disk96 /SD_CDROM
/dev/disk/disk96: unrecognized file system

mount -F cdfs -o rr /dev/disk/disk96 /SD_CDROM

mount -F cdfs /dev/disk/disk96 /SD_CDROM

I tried several ways to see, and no work for me, I have changed even dvd. Now when I try with an original DVD, it's works there.

Please help!!

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It depends on the options used while burning. Some like Joliet etc. make problems on HP-UX.
If you have a server that can do vMedia, use this. 11.31 can also mount ISO files directly.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: how to mount DVD in HP-UX?

>11.31 can also mount ISO files directly.

Right.  On 11.23, you have to work harder.  Consult the tag cloud:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/ISO%20image/tg-p/category-id/itrc-117

james poole

I haven't had to do it for a while, but I've used

mount -o ro -o cdcase <dev> <location>

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

On CD-ROMs and DVDs, two filesystem types are commonly used: ISO9660 and UDF.

HP-UX only supports ISO9660 (as cdfs).

I guess you may have accidentally burned the patches to DVD in UDF format, making the disc unusable to HP-UX. If you used an incremental-write utility that allows you to burn one file at a time to the DVD (also known as packet writing), this is very likely the reason why your burned DVD is failing. Unfortunately, the only solutions are to re-burn the DVD in the proper format or to mount the DVD in some other system that understands UDF, and then use e.g. NFS to make it accessible to HP-UX.

Another complication is that the ISO9660 filesystem type can have several different extensions. Two important ones are called "Rock Ridge" and "Joliet": both of these deal with long filenames, as the default ISO9660 filename syntax is very restrictive. "Joliet" is the standard extension for Windows-style long filenames; unfortunately, HP-UX does not support that at all. If you want to use long filenames on DVDs with HP-UX, you'll need to use the "Rock Ridge" extension, which may not be enabled by default in Windows DVD burning programs. A CD or DVD can have both extensions at the same time, to make the long filenames useable on both Windows and Unix systems.

(The "-o rr" mount option in HP-UX enables Rock Ridge extension support.)

MK
KathyL1
Valued Contributor

A year or so ago I found a free CD/DVD burning utility which works on Windows XP, Vista and 7 that contains the RockRidge extensions.

The product is InfraRecorder and you will need to download version 0.4.41 (you can get it here: InfraRecorder 0.4.41) - the RockRidge extensions were removed from versions 0.45 onwards.