1750753 Members
4805 Online
108779 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp pavilion ze4262

Antonio Manuel
Occasional Contributor

hp pavilion ze4262

I wrote from spain(europe). I have problems with linux systems in this notebook. The system hangs in the installation. I have tried with Debian Woody (bf24), Red Hat 8, Suse 8 and Mandrake 9. Everythings hangs in some moment.
I think that is a problem with kernel 2.4. Alan Cox wrote in a message:

" Nobody has managed to make Linux run on this laptop that I know of. As a
starting point you might want to build a kernel with no PCI IDE support,
and no USB support and work from there.
We have no documentation on the ATI IDE or other components in the
system. "

I need help. Thank you very much.
11 REPLIES 11
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Could you post some info about the hardware that your ze4262 has (or is supposed to have). Certain HP notebooks seem to pose no problems for Linux installation. Others seem to give varying degrees of difficulty.
Antonio Manuel
Occasional Contributor

Microprocessor: mobile K7 XP 2000+

System Chipset
Model : ATI Technologies CPU to PCI Bridge
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI CardBus USB FireWire/1394
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)

CardBus/PCMCIA Controller 1
Model : O2 Micro Inc OZ6912 CardBus Controller

Video: ATI Radeon IGP 320M

Ethernet: National Semiconductors

Display: TFT 15"

DVD/CDRW Toshiba

Hard Disk: 30Gb Hitachi
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

With 2 exceptions, your hardware looks similar to what I have in my ze4100 (built to order). You have an AMD processor where I have an Intel Celeron, and your HP (ATI chipset) video adapter is an IGP 320M whereas mine is an IGP 340M. I had minor problems getting X configured under Red Hat 8, but you should probably have fewer problems with the 320M. Here are a few specific suggestions:

1) Initial boot parameters. Quite a few people with HP notebooks have to use nousb or nopcmcia (I didn't).

2) Graphics. If (when) you get to graphics detection, select something like generic laptop display panel 1024 x 768 for your monitor, and generic vesa for the video adapter driver. (You can manually configure your /etc/X11/XF86Config file later.)

3) Partitioning. How did you handle your Windows XP partition? I used PartitionMagic in XP before Linux installation to reduce my XP partition to < 7.5 G. I then created a small ext2 boot partition immediately after, then a large ext2 / (root) partition, then a smaller (optional) vfat partition (readable by both windows and dos) after that. The latter 3 were all part of an extended partition.

4) Processor. If none of the above suggestions help, then you might search the web for something like 'linux notebook AMD' to see what success other people have had with a processor like yours.
Antonio Manuel
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Bruce Copeland for the help. In Red Hat 8, when I pass the "nousb" parameter, the installation works. But, when it boot from disk this hang in pcmcia module. I have tried "nopcmcia" and "nomce" parameter and it hangs.
Only the first time that power on the notebook in windows xp, this hang too. Only the first time.

I think it is a fail of the notebook and I will go to return it to shop. I will write when it happen.

Excuse me my english. :-)

Regards and thanks.
Alberto G├│mez

Hi,

I am thinking of buying that same laptop and install linux on it and I was wondering if you managed to solve your problems or if it is a problem with this model of HP laptop and I should go for a different one.

Regards,

Alberto
Thomas Bell_1

I have ze4125 as well. I have used knoppix, detected the cardbus w/o pcmcia cards in there, detecting usb and everything else. Works great off cdrom, install it to hd it's basically debian3.0 I've tried installing debian 3.0r1 and that installed, i had rebooted once after that it failed. Seeing stickers on here that this notebook had 802.11b capabilities then finding out it doesn't, no hardware documentation in depth enough worth looking at, and huge amount of limitations. I think it's a bunch of bs and am wondering how much i'll get off ebay for it :\ oh, then the power pin snapping off, $300 for that. You've got to be kidding me. You can use knoppix and remaster the cd to make linux work on the ze4125, it is linux compatible, i've got it workingbefore, what a sad thing. HP- dont put stickers and posters on and in the box about things the laptop doesn't have in it, late
Davide_13

This is my experience with the pavilion ze4262 and linux:
- The keyboard doesn't work during RH 8.0 installation but works fine giving the 'nousb' option to the kernel on boot up.
- I've the same problem with the keyboard using RH 7.3 but only *after* the installation process. Pressing a random key during the boot process is the only solution I've found (thanks to google). Newer kernel (for example 2.5.66) with the AT keyboard code compiled in seems to resolve the problem. 'nousb' doesn't resolve the problem in 2.4.* kernel under RH 7.3.
- pcmcia during the init process freezes the notebook. I've resolved the problem issuing a init 1 and removing /etc/init.d/pcmcia under RH 7.3 (I'm not usingpcmcia devices at the moment).
- ACPI must be recompiled into the kernel or the processor will reach very high temperatures. The acpi patch for 2.4.20 kernel doesn't recognize the C2 state so 2.4.21-rc1 or 2.5.66 kernel must be used. C3 state is not supported.
- AMD powernow technology is recognized by 2.5.66 but the cpu frequency scaling doesn't work to me and so the 'performance' governor is always used.
- ATI radeon video card is not supported (or better, is not recognized by the X server). The standard vesa video card works fine. If you want to use the radeon driver you should specify a ChipID to force the X server to use the driver. Hardware acceleration must be disable or X will not work.
- I don't know if the CPU temperature is acceptable or not: 45 degrees (celsius) when the system is idle, 55-60 under heavy load using the battery and 65-68 when conneted to the ac adapter. Are these temperatures too high in your opinion?
Thanks
HF
Davide_13

- The keyboard doesn't work during RH 8.0 installation but works fine giving the 'nousb' option to the kernel on boot up.
- I've the same problem with the keyboard using RH 7.3 but only *after* the installation process. Pressing a random key during the boot process is the only solution I've found (thanks to google). Newer kernel (for example 2.5.66) with the AT keyboard code compiled in seems to resolve the problem. 'nousb' doesn't resolve the problem in 2.4.* kernel under RH 7.3.
- pcmcia during the init process freezes the notebook. I've resolved the problem issuing a init 1 and removing /etc/init.d/pcmcia under RH 7.3 (I'm not usingpcmcia devices at the moment).
- ACPI must be recompiled into the kernel or the processor will reach very high temperatures. The acpi patch for 2.4.20 kernel doesn't recognize the C2 state so 2.4.21-rc1 or 2.5.66 kernel must be used. C3 state is not supported.
- AMD powernow technology is recognized by 2.5.66 but the cpu frequency scaling doesn't work to me and so the 'performance' governor is always used.
- ATI radeon video card is not supported (or better, is not recognized by the X server). The standard vesa video card works fine. If you want to use the radeon driver you should specify a ChipID to force the X server to use the driver. Hardware acceleration must be disable or X will not work.
- I don't know if the CPU temperature is acceptable or not: 45 degrees (celsius) when the system is idle, 55-60 under heavy load using the battery and 65-68 when conneted to the ac adapter. Are these temperatures too high in your opinion?
Thanks
HF
Davide_13

Thanks
HF