1748201 Members
3205 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp pavillion 8665c - ram

Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

hp pavillion 8665c - ram

How can I find out what kind of ram to get for this dang computer? Do I select the ram by the number of pins? If so how do I find out which number of pins my machine takes?
Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Bryan
I hate puters
8 REPLIES 8
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Looks like it wants standard 100MHz 168 pin SDRAM in 64M, 98M or 128M sizes to a max of 256M. 2 slots is all you have.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=9206&distributor=0&submit=Find

Read their Ultimate Memory Guide under Memory Tools on their home page:

http://www.kingston.com/default.asp

Ron
Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

Ok, Awsome thanks.
But if I have (2) 168 pin slots, could I install (2) 256mb sticks? Or will my system not work or not recoginze them?
Because I think I have seen 168pin 256mb sticks.
I hate puters
Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

Ok, Awsome thanks.
But if I have (2) 168 pin slots, could I install (2) 256mb sticks? Or will my system not work or not recoginze them?
I hate puters
Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

Ok, Awsome thanks.
I hate puters
Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

I think I may just shoot my computer instead!!!
Sorry for the triple post! My puter would lock up when I clicked submit and I tried 3 times, appearantly it sent it each time but my resources are so low if I even think of looking at more than 2 windows it's toast, it locks up and I have to manually shut it down. (Hold the power button down 'till she goes)
All I did was upgrade to Windows ME.
I hate puters
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Ron's Rule:

Each upgrade in computer speed and memory is cancelled out by a Windows upgrade.

Kingston says the max is 256M so I think you are stuck with that. They say the thing only recognizes three sizes so doubt you could get a 256M stick to work if you found one. Get 2 128's. Watch for sales at CompUSA or local equivalent.

Ron
Bryan_16
Occasional Advisor

So when I upgrade to 256 from 128 it will bring the performance close to OEM but any greater, because I upgraded to ME? Or do you think that doubling the amount might give me a little better performance than it originaly had.
I hate puters
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

If you are very lucky doubling your memory might get you almost back to where you were with Win 98.

Actually don't blame your computer for the multiple reposts. The forum computers seems to have this problem off and on. The safe thing to do is to copy your post then go back to the page where your original post and replies were and do a refresh. See if you see your new post show up. Often you will see it there - you just didn't get the reply back.Wait about 5 minutes and do another refresh. If it's still not there then post again.

Ron