New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-ux systems administration best practice thread

SOLVED
Go to solution
Danny Ramos_1
Occasional Advisor

hp-ux systems administration best practice thread

hi guys,

am just a novice system administrator and would like to gather expert's approach on system administration. may i then request you to post a brief and concise insight in managing your rather complicated system. Points will be rewarded accordingly. Thanks.

more power,

danny
15 REPLIES 15
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor
Solution

My approach is two fold:

(1) networking - build strong relationships with the following groups:
..(a) your vendors
..(b) your developers - or third party vendors
..(c) your networking staff
..(d) your telecommunications people
..(e) your facilities people
..(f) your electricians
..(g) your business units
..(h) your "clients"
(2) walk loudly and carry a big stick:
..(a) don't give QUICK anwsers to issues unless you are sure of the cause and how to correct it. Take time and get it right the FIRST time.
..(b) you earn respect and respect the job others do!
..(c) don't say "that's impossible", because few things are!
..(d) get excited and use that energy to learn something new
..(e) learn to say NO, because when someone say's they need to open some port up on an internet server that could compromise your companies reputation, then put your foot down and say NO, unless you get an officer of the company to authorize such IN WRITING. I guarantee you won't be seeing a lot of memo's from officers asking you to destroy your companies data and integrity, unless of course you are Arthur Andersen and work at Enron.
..(f) most importantly, have FUN!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi Danny,

You asked a good question. I thought about it for a few minutes and
here is a short list of what I came up with.

1. Learn something everyday. Reading to this forum daily will do it for you.
Read the trade magazines. Read the manuals. Read the man pages for commands.
You really want to learn something? Do an 'ls /usr/bin' and print the list, and
then start reading the man pages one by one in your spare time. Waiting on something
to print or a phone call? Read a man page. Learn where to find the answers and
you won't have to memorize everything.

2. Learn to write scripts. Shell scripts. Perl. Awk. Learn what you are most
comfortable with, but learn enough of all of them to make your way around.
Look at scripts other people have written. Use the really good things you see.
You'll need this skill for the next thing.

3. Automate when you can. If you find that you need to check something on a system
everyday, write a script to check it for you and have it e-mail you just when
something is wrong. Have it log everything the rest of the time in case something
blows up and you don't get the e-mail.

4. Document what you do. Not only in your scripts, but in your work. E-mail your
boss and your co-workers when you make a change on a system. Keep people informed
about what you are doing.

5. Don't get to be a bigot of one brand of hardware, software, or operating system.
If you stick around for a few years, chances are you'll work on several different
brands of everything. Nobody has the best of everything, and you can learn something
from other flavors of operating systems. Be flexible.

6. Be responsible. If you do something wrong, admit it. I've made some pretty big
mistakes before and I've survived some really stupid things just by standing up
and saying, "I did it. It was my fault. It won't happen again."

7. Keep your cool and have fun. If you live to be really old you will look back on
these days as the time of your life. I'd prefer to remember all the fun I'm having
instead of grumbling about work/co-workers/bosses/business/companies. Get over it
and have fun.

JP
George Petrides_1
Honored Contributor

Danny,
I will also stress out organization, consistency and always keep in mind growth. I have been in large datacenters where the first UNIX machine came and people thought that was it, one machine and we are all set. Before you knew it, a year later there were 50 UNIX machines around. Keep things organized and setup things in a way that other people can work on them (naming conventions, well written scripts), you might say that a cryptic setup means job security but it will also limit your growth. Keep your systems clean (file systems don't let them fill up and then get a call at 2AM), learn a bit about the databases and applications so you don't always need to call the DBA just to help you stop and start the database. Try and document as much as you can regarding your setup (this can be helpful in an emergency when a machine is down and you have absolutely no idea what the HW addresses and configuration is). Write down standards, you can make the rules and other people will respect them and follow them. If you name servers after cities in California or Islands in the carribean, then good luck having other people remember which one is which. If you put 1000 scripts in one directory, then wish other people who need to use these scripts good luck. As the other postings said, try and learn really good shell (or pearl) scripting and automate as much as you can. Help the developers and the DBAs, many of them will appreciate it and it will help your reputation in the company and most important make your life easier. And most important try to enjoy it and have fun!
George
John Dvorchak
Honored Contributor

Danny, all of those answers are great ones. I would like to share my views on a couple of points mentioned by the esteemed group that answered your question.

1. naming convention. Here is what I have used successfully for years:
Make the name not cryptic but not too simple. As pointed out earlier you can name them after cities, Islands etc. but the name doesn't mean much. I like to use a series of letters and numbers that mean something to everyone. Take the name CHPROD1. The first letter is the city it is located in "C"incinati. The second letter is the manufacturer "H"ewlet Packard. Prod is a production server and 1 is the first one online. So the name tells me it is in Cincy, it is an HP and it is a production server. Could be SSDEV3 which would be in St. Louis, Sun and the 3rd developement server. Play with it and arrive at your own naming convention. Could be floor numbers or building sites and application servers. Refrain from a St. Louis, HP, in the IT department.

2. Learn something every day. Get books on the O/S and hardware, networking, Sysadmin etc. And don't forget that until you are an expert use the forum just as you have done here. You no know that answers are quick to show up and accurate.

3. Don't beat your self up if you don't know what went wrong and how to fix it. Don't panic, take a breath and start thinking not doing. After a while you will find that you don't have to know all of the answers, a truely smart Admin knows where to find the answers.

Good luck and
If it has wheels or a skirt, you can't afford it.
Elif Gius
Valued Contributor

* it would be good if you have patience; somtimes things won't does what you want
* don't be panic;
somtimes systems crashes,cluster wents done, but in such a situatio it is the best to be "cool" at first
* it would be good that you are a little bit organizational;
that saves your head and you won't get confused
* it will help you if you can laugh and have a little of fun

+++ don't drink too much coffee; I've seen colleagus who were getting mad and too much coffee isn't the best for your stomach
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The best piece of advice that I can give you is: "Get yourself a SANDBOX." This is a machine that is even lower than a test environment and it is where you first apply new OS releases, patches, new database patches, ... AND where you learn and play. It is the perfect place to learn how to use Ignite and what the effects of terrible tuning tuning can be. A box like an old D or K on the used market will work just fine and believe it or not, it is a very wise investment. This is one of the main techniques for approaching what should be one of your most important production goals - zero unplanned downtime.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Danny,

NEVER turn down an opportunity for any decent training.

Keep your options open (good planning helps here).

Get a bound notebook (like a school composition book) and keep it with you. Use it whenever you learn something new. I got that one from one of the "masters" here. You may find it in another thread (my apologies), but it bears repeating.

Document your procedures and activities carefully.

Don't take yourself too seriously. (My wife keeps reminding me of that.)

Remember your family and don't let them suffer on the "back burner" ...keep in mind why you're bothering to work in the first place. (My wife keeps reminding me of thet one, too!)

Good Luck!

Dave
Romans 8:28
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hi Danny,

maybe it doesn't sound that much of a technical advise, but:
1) read everything, as soon as you get it
2) learn whatever you can, as soon as you get the chance to do so
3) try/experiment whatever you cannot answer with the experience from the first two points as soon as possible

Actually this works for me for over 20 years, now. And everytime I turned down a chance to learn/read/try, just the very next day I had to be sorry about that, as it would have saved me a lot of trouble by then...

Ad 1: books, magazines, mailing-lists, news-groups, web-sites (liek the forums ;-)
Ad 2: trainings/workshops, *older* co-workers, even bosses
Ad 3: as Clay wrote: get a sandbox. Create Ignite/UX tapes. Learn to use them. Use them. (Solaris: JumpStart, AIX: mksysb, Windows: Ghost, Linux: well - "mondo" maybe)
With a safety net like that, you can sleep much better.

Explain things to others - afterwards you'll know those topics way better than before!

FWIW,
Wodisch