Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

ecorban
Frequent Advisor

hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

When i dis-connect my N-Class server 5158A hba from a san and plug it into another port on the switch and reboot it zoned with different storage.(storage types are va7400/xp512 and xp256) The problem is that the machine fails to boot. What is the safest way for re-building the /stand/ioconfig file, this is where it hangs and it forever stays in the PDC and then system failure and reboots. The only way i found it to come back up is to dis-=-connect it from the SAN and it comes back up ok but with no storage.

What i want to do is figure out a way to update/change the /stand/ioconfig file everytime my h/w path change to storage. I run the ioinit -c and ask it to overwrite the /etc/ioconfig file but the host just does'nt seem to want to come back up.
2 REPLIES
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

Have you tried running "ioinit -c" during the system bootup ? Basically let the system recreate ioconfig file when it boots up.

1) Rename /etc/ioconfig and /stand/ioconfig with extension say ".save"
2) Reboot the system. It will come up to ioinitrc and give this message:-
/sbin/ioinitrc /etc/ioconfig missing. Restore it from backup or invoke /sbin/ioinit -c to recreate it from kernel.
3) Ib the ioinitrc prompt run the "ioinit -c".
(in ioinitrc) # /bin/ioinit -c
(in ioinitrc) # ^d
4) Wait till the system comes back up to multi-user mode.
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Re: hpux 11.00 Fails to boot and hangs @ pdc

Hi,
Can you interrupt the boot (at the 10 second question) ? Try booting in maintenance mode.
BO PRI
Interact with IPL ? Y
ISL>hpux -lm

From there you should be able to recreate everything you need.

Hope this helps,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?