1753400 Members
7398 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

hpux desktop - dterm and xterm

Patrick H Hughes
Occasional Contributor

hpux desktop - dterm and xterm

After logging into desktop and opening a dterm window I get nothing but bogus characters returned. Any additional dterm windows open render the same results. I did a telnet session from a workstation and also received bogus characters in a xterm window. Thus far I have restored the /usr /h/COTS /h/COE and the profile and login files under the / directory. In single user mode everything appears normal. Any idea or suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks,

Patrick H. Hughes
SPAWAR Systems Center Chesapeake, VA
phughes@scn.spawar.navy.mil
We come into this world with nothing. Without an education, don't expect it to change.
1 REPLY 1
Charles Slivkoff
Respected Contributor

Re: hpux desktop - dterm and xterm

Does text appear normal when you login to CDE? Do the Dtterm menus look normal? Have you tried specifying a different font via the menu? Have you tried a "failsafe" session? What about the CDE text editor "dtpad" from the front-panel? Do you login on the console of the system directly, or via an X terminal, PC, etc?

In the CDE "Application Manager" you will find an icon for "xwd" which will let you take a window dump and save to a file. Use this to grab a shot of the dtterm/xterm display and we'll probably be able to offer additional suggestions.