1747993 Members
5078 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

i need help

Pat_20

i need help

i installed linux-mandrake onto my HP Pavilion XE783. the problem is that it was supposed to be set up as a dual platform system. however, somehow windows has compleatly disappeared and when i have tried to reinstall it, i get a screen telling me that it can not find the hard drive. i'm sure the problem happened during the partition configuration, so how can i get it back so that i will be able to have a dual platform system?
1 REPLY 1
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Re: i need help

This qestion is not meant to offend you, but have you check to make sure if you have not wipe out windoze partition during your linux lnstallation process? I have been burned once while doing this for the first time. To check, you can boot into linux, longin as root, type fdisk -l or just fdisk on /dev/hd? where ? is the drive name. Important do not save when you exit, otherwise you might inadvertantly wipe out your partition info. Check to and see if you still have your windoze partition. If so, then get the partition name and edit /etc/lilo.conf. e.g: boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda5

other=/dev/hda2
optional
label=DOS

save it and run lilo -v, reboot and select dos to boot into windoze. Hope this helps.
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour