108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: i need some help on my memory load

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris_706
Occasional Contributor

i need some help on my memory load

ok.. first i have 50 processes open when i start windows xp , and i also have 247mb of ram with a 77% load on memory and aol needs me to reduce this and i dont know how aol wont help me and hp wont ether cause my warranty has just run out on the 8th of dec
20 REPLIES 20
John Y
Honored Contributor
Solution

A few idea's. You can disable some programs that aren't needed by using the run box in the start menu, and then enter msconfig, uncheck whats not needed under the startup tab and in services. Or you can buy more ram.!
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

u can also open the task manager (Right click on Task bar and choose the option task manager)

goto processes tab and then click on mem usage column header..

this will make task manager to sort the processes based on memory usuage. U can the figure out which is taking more memory and decide whether u need them or not

Either u can stop them from the startup as JOhn has mentioned or kill them for the current the use..

Also u can upgrade for more RAM.

Ganesh
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

There are plenty of winXP machines running 256MB RAM, AOL customers, without a problem. I doubt that you need to add RAM to solve this problem.

*Everyone* running winxp has approximately 50 processes (or more).

It sounds like you contacted AOL and they could/would not help you. Which is not surprising.

We can check to see if you have some kind of spyware/malware/virus/worm etc.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt/HijackThis.exe

Run it, Scan your system then Save Log and post the log as an attachment to a reply to this post.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Chris_706
Occasional Contributor

here is the log you requested
John Y
Honored Contributor

If nothing is found of importance in the Hijack this scan, It may also be your virtual memory/page file is set to low.? Ganesh had a good idea with the task manager, you can see what the big memory hog is, and it may or may not be tied to a bug of some type, the Hijack this scan should find it if one's their, lets see what Jay finds.? BTW-- Our 4 XP machines have between 36-42 processes running at one time, just so you have an idea of where your at.
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

I don't see anything bad in the HJT log. Perhaps if Ron is around we will get his opinion.

After all, Ron is the expert in matters-HJT!

:-) Jay
check Facebook
John Y
Honored Contributor

Hey Jay

No, I didn't see anything either from what little I could tell,...your better at this kinda stuff.! Anyhow, like I mentioned above, I wonder if his virtual memory/page file is set to low.? But either way, with XP being a memory hog to begin with, 512mb of ram would sure liven up his PC.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_DN020913_CW01
John Y
Honored Contributor

Chris, read the link I left above in my reply to Jay.!
Chris_706
Occasional Contributor

i have a 1gb page file