108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO4 Connectivity Requirements

SOLVED
Go to solution
shocko
Honored Contributor

iLO4 Connectivity Requirements

For Gen 8+ servers, is it required that the iLO be connected to the network and have network connectivity to IRS? I have several Gen 8 servers here with no iLO connectivity as we have the full HP management agents installed in the WIndows OS but they show as disabled in IRS and I cannot get them to move into enabled/eligib

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
8 REPLIES 8
toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi Shocko,

Let me see if I understand what you're asking.

You have Gen8/9 devices configured with the Insight Management Agents installed and configured.

Your iLO 4's are on a management lan that is not visible from the production lan.

Because you have the IM agents installed, you don't want to provide access to the managment lan.

Have you configured the proper credentials in I-RS so that the I-RS can connect to the IM agents (WMI/SNMP/WBEM (if ESXi))?

If all the above is correct in my understanding, then it seems there is a problem that you cannot make the devices

enabled.

Please validate my assumptions - and we can discuss what might be your best next course.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

Also - one more clarification --

There is a difference between eligble and enabled -   Can you clarify which (or both) is not happening?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
shocko
Honored Contributor

To be clear, the iLO 4 is not connected ot the network via it's dedicated port or shared LOM etc. It does not have an advanced license either (costs savings etc.). So, the server it's connected to in is discovered in IRS and basic collection has retrieved serial/product number etc. The server however shows as not enabled and not eligible. 

toddg1
HPE Pro

Ok, thanks Shocko,

This seems like you are having a problem - this should work.  We should NOT be requiring the iLO to be connected

in order to monitor this device.

At this point, I would suggest raising a support case with HP - as something isn't functioning as expected.

This is likely the fastest way to get a resolution rather than bouncing back and forth in this forum.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
shocko
Honored Contributor

Ok. might there be alog file or the like i could check for clues? I love how this product gives you no feedback on whats going wrong :(

LGentile
Trusted Contributor
Solution

I have sent in an enhancement request to add a log viewer to the GUI since the logs themselves are really cryptic.

Granted, you're using WBEM/SNMP with the agents and the community strings are correct, yes it should work without the iLO - however check ont he AMS settings there and disable the AMS components.  This should not cause discoveries to fail, but your traps may not be directed through the agents if you have both the AMS agent running and AMS configured on the iLO.  I use the agents when there is some goofy iLO issue and i don't have time to troubleshoot the problem (IP addresses missing, etc).

When checking for registration issues, I have been directed to:

<volume>:\ProgramData\HP\RS\DATA\INTEGRATION\adapters\HpAdapter\sessions

There should be a zip/session file per machine, as I understand it.  Repeated failures will continue to attempt to register/enable and if you are really good with searching the XML files, you may find your machine.  It may highlight what is failing.

There is also a more generic log for collections in <volume>:\ProgramData\HP\RS\LOG and there is a log per day/date.

I like that the tool is supposed to be easy for everyone to use, but I feel the logs should be exposed for those that have a heavier hand in maintaing their instances.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Hi, you have found the root issue. You have to disable the AMS sevices within the host OS if the services are installed but the iLO is not network connected. Is this documented anywhere?

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

The only thing I am aware of is that the IRS guide mentions choosing one or the other and not both.  IRS would take AMS as precedent I believe, so that may be why your discoveries would fail.  IRS was likely trying to talk to your iLO.

I have never dealt with not using the iLOs since we make sure to use them.  I don't think you need to use an iLO license for IRS, you just won't have remote console capability without iLO Advanced or better.  I though the basic use of an iLO was "free" if you didn't install a license key.