108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: if someone takes the time to help you please assign them points

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I'll bring up another pet peeve of mine.

There are some users that will award points to only 1 response out of maybe 6 or more responses to their question. When this happens the 1 response that gets points usually gets 10 points (for magic answer), but it makes it look like all the other people that helped out don't exist.

The scale of 1-10 exists for a reason and all responses should get some sort of point award, at least up to the point that the problem has been solved.

There are definitely improvements that could be made to the Forums. I personally think that more work needs to be put into some of the usability features of the forums, ie. point assignment made easier, better search engine, etc., etc.., now that the new look-and-feel has been around for a while and is starting to get a bit more stable.
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

Dan, was me!, and you know it was a joke now.
;-D
I think:

If i had posted a request and i had made efforts to read it, i have to effort to asign points.

Forumers, newbes too, must know there are lots of people expending their time and knowledge replying for FREE, and giving thanks is FREE too.

My idea is let's go to keep this thread on first page and on 'Top Reads' section.

Everybody will know is not absolute free, the rule, as said Dan, is giving thanks assingning any point.

Regards.

unsupported
Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor

Maybe would could have HP modify the ITRC forum so that it displays the percentage a user has assigned points to responses. This could be displayed underneath the Author name.

That way if a users see's their question on the forum and notices that their percentage is low, they might realize they may not get a response back as soon as they like.

-- Rod H
There be dragons...
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I tend to agree , the points system to work as expected would need intervention from the forums development team, but bear in mind not everyone has time to always adhere to the rules.

But on another note ......

Does anyone think the bigger the hat the more likely the response will be assigned points ?

A possible solution => ?

Ammend the current points system slightly to encourage more "forum newbies" to actively participate and answer questions by simply having a monthly total or similar that clears itself at the end of the limitted time frame.

Disadvantage => More long term hat wearers will not always have their names in lights ....
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Maybe that preventing users to post anything once they have reached a given number/percentage of 'pointless answers' could help enforcing the points assignment?

Just a thought...

Dan
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Its true that with the little feed back I got these couple of weeks, I reduced my postings...

IMHO, It is a problem when you have no feed back at all, since you dont know if you have been of some help, and its filling the forum DB with non validated information...

All the best
Victor
Edward Sedgemore
Trusted Contributor

The only option I feel is to force users to assign points, or else punish them. Its human weakness, were natually lazy. If we dont need to do it then we wont. Thats why we have laws and the police!

I think either close down someones account if they continually dont assign points - thus forcing them the hassle of reopening a new account or some very experienced administrator from HP should assign points for them.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

Good morning to all

Lets us get this points thing into perspective.

Yes it is nice to get points for our efforts, but to behead / castrate / bar / reset / not answer ---- is taking things way to far.

The forum works in its prime role to assist and impart knowledge and yes one or two things need to be slicker / easier, but to suggest punitive action against non-point assigning forum users is not on.

Unix Sysadmins are members of a unique community where knowledge is freely shared and should continue to be so.

IMHO

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Paula, I fully agree. Punitive action is going too far.

Indeed, knowledge should be freely shared, but appreciation doesn't cost that much either.

Bye,
Rik.
Maureen Gunkel
Trusted Contributor

I agree. I know this is kind of petty, but a lot of times I'll click on the person posting to get an idea of how they assign points. Not just to get points, But as a lot of have mentioned, you don't know if what you posted helped them or not!
I know we had problems with the forum late last year/early this year, but those seem ot have been solved. I try to assign points to ANY question I post.
Mo
No matter where you go, there you are.