Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ignite backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon_82
Advisor

ignite backup

Hi
i am using the new version of ignite and would like to now that if i issue the following command :
make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

would it be also possible to do a -x inc_entire=vg01 etc to backup other volume groups.

regards
simon
6 REPLIES
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ignite backup

Simon,

Yes, you can back up other volumes using "-x inc_entire=vgXX" for each additional volume.

Hai
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi, the answer is simple: YES.

You can repeat the -x inc_entire=vgXX to include all the vg you need.

Be sure to have the latest pax and ignite patches too.

HTH,
Massimo

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Yes it is possible, but it is not recommended.

Ignite was designed primarily to back up your VG00 and give you an easy way to restore a dead system. You really should investigate other means, like fbackup, Omniback, etc., to back up your non-vg00 VGs.
Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

simon,

yes, just add a second -x option.

eg make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=vg01 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Theres an example of this on top of pg 9 of "man make_tape_recovery"

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Simon:

Yes, you can include other volume groups and/or directories and files. See the man pages for 'make_tape_recovery' for the full set of options.

However, if you confine your Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' contents to vg00, you have the ability to use this tape to recover your OS environment and then 'vgimport' your (otherwise intact) non-vg00 volumes. You can also use the recovery tape to clone your system. Limiting your recovery image to just vg00 provides the utmost flexability.

Regards!

...JRF...

simon_82
Advisor

Thanks
Simon