1748128 Members
3560 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

inode question

Charles McCary
Valued Contributor

inode question

Has anyone worked with large numbers of small files? I have a situation where I need to store a large number of small files. I know there is an inode limit, but what is it on 11.x vxfs? Also, any other issues?

thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Smith
Respected Contributor

Re: inode question

There is no inode limit on vxfs, vxfs dynamically allocates inodes as necessary where hfs has a fixed number of inodes.

Rob Smith
Learn the rules so you can break them properly.
Steve Faidley
Valued Contributor

jfs dynamically allocates inodes. No need to worry.
Check the link below for HP's answer.

http://us-support2.external.hp.com/cki/bin/doc.pl/sid=b894badd0d3fa32a24/screen=ckiDisplayDocument?docId=200000006306362
If it ain't broke, let me have a look at it.
Carsten Krege
Honored Contributor

There is no problem with a lot of inodes on VxFS.

However, if the filesystem is very dynamic (ie. a lot of files are created and removed, the size of files changes) AND you have the Advanced Online JFS product you might want to defragment your filesystem more often as usual. The problem is for example that your directory inode can grow very large and can become very fragmented. In bad cases this can have a severe performance impact. This is more likely to occur if you use many small files on a dynamic filesystem.

To defragment (with Advanced (Online) JFS only) use

# fsadm -F vxfs -d -e -D -E

You cannot defragment on Base JFS. Refer also to the fsadm_vxfs(1m) man page.

Carsten
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- HhGttG
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

On a JFS filesystem, there is no inode limit. It is advisable to limit ninode value below 4000 in the kernel for performance purposes. Check with sar -v or Glance
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.