New Discussion юеВ

Re: install debian 3.0 on a B132L - problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Malleron Mathieu
Frequent Advisor

install debian 3.0 on a B132L - problem

Hi all ,
i'm trying to install debian on a hp workstation , all work fin but when it ask for install "PALO" (same as LILO)
it fail , and cant boot .
if someone can help me ? i use the iso CD NONUS of debian 3.0 for hp .

dear ,
4 REPLIES 4
Ramkumar Devanathan
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I believe i know your problem. Let me know if I am guessing your problem right. My memory is a bit vague however - so i might guess around a bit.

When you reboot your debian node, it throws up a 1:> prompt or something like that right?

actually I remember facing this problem and that i solved it by reading the documentation on lilo.

see man lilo...

FWIW. sorry if i am not much of a help. as far as i remember there is a sequence of keys to be typed to choose the right os to boot.

- ramd.
HPE Software Rocks!
Malleron Mathieu
Frequent Advisor

thank for answer but now the problem is fixed , i usualy install linux on a PC , on HP i have to create a boot part at the start of the disk for install PALO , but now a new problem , linux dont have drivers for my grafic card . no way i think for find one out ..

Ramkumar Devanathan
Honored Contributor

hi,

debian - there's always a problem with the graphics setup.

can you install xconfigurator from redhat distro and try to setup your x terminal server therefrom?

that would of course be an rpm with redhat 7.x distro's - use alien to convert the rpm to deb format and then install it. or else, install the rpm utility (it comes with the debian distro as a deb package) and then install the x related rpms thereupon.

try searching for some information on this on the web.

FWIW.

- ramd.
HPE Software Rocks!
rob smith_4
Solution

Malleron,

Rather than using xconfigurator, you'd be better off using
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or
# XF86config
for Debian.

I would recommend using the first utility. If you do use dpgk, the first two windows will ask if you want to use "Debconf" to controll your settings; select "yes" for both. You will need to know exactly what hardware/chipsets/drivers your system uses. If you cannot get the correct graphics driver to work with your monitor or cannot find the correct one, try using the VESA driver and increase your video memory to 8mb in the system BIOS if you are able to do so. continue with the remaining questions and SAVE the settings then try: $ startx

Good luck