New Discussion юеВ

installing windows through LINUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

installing windows through LINUX

Hi there,

I have a loptop loaded with Linux, but I need to install win2000 server in the same laptop so as to have a multi boot. Anyone can advise the process
please!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
5 REPLIES 5
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: installing windows through LINUX

Hi Abdulatef,
It is mostly done vice versa, linux added to a windows system. Now the windows will write over the lilo/grub. So at least you need a linux boot floppy and the filesystem info to get linux working again after the windows install.

And offcourse there has to be some diskspace left to put the windows on.

Goodluck
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Hi Donald,
Thanks for the quick reply. Please note that I do not have a floppy drive in my laptop. It there a way by any chance to do the necessary without the need of FDD. Also can you give me more clear details please.

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Donald Kok
Respected Contributor

Hi Abdulatef,
Instead of a floppy to rescue lilo/grub you might use a rescue CD. RedHat for instance delivers it with the 7.x version. It is called the 'systems administrators survival CD' and has the size of a credit card.

If you not really depend on your current linux installation, you could consider starting from scratch. first install win2K, second install linux. installation descriptions are found all over the ITRC and the rest of internet.
Greetzz
Donald
My systems are 100% Murphy Compliant. Guaranteed!!!
Tony Contratto
Respected Contributor

Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Closed.