3870 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

intalling OS on npar & vpar

masthan_1
Advisor

intalling OS on npar & vpar

Hi Experts,

Kindly brief me how can I install the HPunix os on npart environment and vpar environment.

for a new 8 cell (1cabinet for example) superdome, i have created the genesis partition and decided to create 2 more partititons as well. in this scenario, please brief me the OS installation scenario.

regards,

Masthan

5 REPLIES 5
StanM
Occasional Advisor

Re: intalling OS on npar & vpar

I guess you need 'Installation' manual:

http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-vpars-docs

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

You first will need to install HP-UX onto a partition (actually, you will need to install HP-UX on each of the nPar's you have created).   Access the console from the MP to interact with the boot environment (BCH or EFI).  From there you install either via media with a DVD-ROM physically attached to the nPar or via the network with an accessible Ignite boot server.

Once you get HP-UX installed on the nPar, you can then install the vPar product and go from there to create your vPars (each requiring an HP-UX installation).

I know thats basic info for your question, but not sure what you are specifically looking for.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
masthan_1
Advisor

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. Please provide me that basic stepts which involved in the installation of OS and please reply with whatever you think pertain to this scenario. If it is giving some idea good, anyhow you are going to share regarding vpar & npar only.

Regards,

Masthan

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The link that StanM provided has all the details. Installing on nPars is just like installing it on a simple server or workstation except you'll have to move your DVD to the I/O cages associated with each nPar. Note that each nPar must have separate boot disk(s). If you have not installed HP-UX before, you'll need to review the documentation that came with your DVD. Note that there are currently 3 different versions of HP-UX (11.11, 11.23 and 11.31). However, the installation is virtually the same.

Once you have all the nPars installed, you need to load the vPar software (if your DVD does not have it). vPar software is a purchased product from HP. But before you actually create vPars, you need to inventory all your nPar hardware (CPU, memory, disks, LAN cards) and make sure you have enough hardware to support each vPar. vPars are separate machines and each one will require a boot disk, CPUs and memory and a LAN card. As you start creating vPars, you may find that creating an Ignite server is much easier as far as installing from a DVD (for both nPars and vPars).

The reason that the above documentation link was given is that creating and managing nPars and vPars are not trivial tasks. There is no 5 step procedure for either task.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
masthan_1
Advisor

Hi Bill,

thanks for your reply and the details. Can you please explain me what are all the activites covered when "server sanity check" come. Is it mean checking the /etc/fstab for proper entries, volumegroup, ioscan details etc...

if possible please brief me the list of areas need to be checked when it comes to server sanity check..(HPUX OS)

Regards,

Masthan