New Discussion юеВ

internet configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
tarek_3
Frequent Advisor

internet configuration

hi guys
i have installed Linux red hat8 on my omnibook xe3, and i don't know how to configure internet via network.
any one can help me?
3 REPLIES 3
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Re: internet configuration

hi,

my understanding of your question is that you have installed rhl8.0 and have configured it to work on a network. now u need to connect to the internet.

1. do you have a direct connection to the internet form your network. in that case, just fire your favourite browser and start surfing. or use your application which ever you want to use.

2. if you are in a nat'ted network or behind a firewall or proxy, you need to get in touch with your sysadmin for those details and configure your browser accordingly.

3. if i have misunderstood your question and you want to connect to your network using a dial up connection, u need to setup ppp. man wvdial or kppp for more details.

if you need more help, pls revert with your setup.
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
tarek_3
Frequent Advisor

hi
i'am behind a proxy
my ip adress is 192.168.244.129
getway 192.168.244.242
proxy:192.168.250.8 port 8080
in red hat 8 i don't know how to lunch sysadmin
when i start web browser:(Mozilla) the only page is file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
and when i enter the following address:
www.redhat.com
i receive the following alert:
www.redhat.com could not be found.
Thanks
Balaji N
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,
do a "netstat -r". see if the gateway you mentioned appears against the Destination default entry.

if so your gateway is configured properly. if not fire "redhat-config-network" and set the gateway there. then do a "service network restart" for the changes to take effect.

and to configure your proxy, (in mozilla i guess it is under the Edit menu, else u need to do some search), preferneces, advanced, proxy and then give the ip address and port details of the proxy server. save it and see if you are able to browse the internet.

if u still face problems, revert with details.

hth
-bala-(today morning is quite hectic)-ji-

Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.