9796 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ioscan Not Finding Devices

IE Admins
Advisor

ioscan Not Finding Devices

Hi,

We currently have an ADIC Scalar i2000 tape library with 6 LTO-2 tape drives attached to our servers via a SAN fabric. Yesterday we had to make a config change to the library and subsequently 4 of the 6 tape devices now show NO_HW in ioscan. Running ioscan again does not detect anything on those hardware paths.

On our test system which is also attached to the library, I attempted to run multiple ioscans, all with no result. The hardware cannot be seen. I then restarted the system and all tape and library devices were available again.

I have a hard copy of an ADIC Hardware Technical Bulletin which states that this is a known issue with HPUX. The library and tape drives use LUN values greater than 4000. When HPUX is running, the system will only scan LUNs 0 through 7 in response to a manual "ioscan" or receipt of an RSCN from the SAN fabric.
However, when the system boots it performs a "brute force" scan of the LUNs, including 4000 through 407F and the devices are available immediately.

This issue was originally experienced when we setup the library on our HPUX systems but at the time we were able to restart the systems to get around the problem. We are unable to do that in this case as the tape library is now in production and an outage on basically all of our production systems will have a major impact.

Does anyone know if there is a way to force a scan of LUNs 4000 through 407F while the system is running?

Thanks

Adam
2 REPLIES 2
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: ioscan Not Finding Devices

That's funny, ADIC pointing their fingers at HPux as the issue, when it's clearly an ADIC library configuration issue.

Expecting ioscan to scan a SAN port for every possible LUN is just plain crazy talk, especially LUN's 4000 through 407F. I wouldn't expect it to scan from 0000 through FFFF.

If it is only scanning ports 0 - 7 then I suspect it's not the right device driver. I say shame on ADIC, they are supposed to provide solutions, NOT just pass the buck.

Maybe I'll cancel my current order (big $$) for ADIC if they aren't going to behave in an HP shop!

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
IE Admins
Advisor

Re: ioscan Not Finding Devices

Thanks for the rant, but that doesn't get me any closer to resolving the problem.

Our backup software is HP Data Protector 5.1 and the tape drives are IBM LTO-2, so we are using the IBM atdd drivers for HPUX (as per the DP 5.1 support matrix).

The atdd drivers attempt to claim the tape devices using ioscan to identify them. Hence my problem. ioscan does not see the devices and atdd has nothing to claim.

It's fair enough that the system doesn't scan LUNs 0000 to FFFF. However, I would expect that if a device is detected and configured at boot, then the OS would be able to scan the LUN range the device was originally detected on.

So back to my original question, does anyone know if there is a way to force a scan of LUNs 4000 through 407F while the system is running?