108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

kernel configuration help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Chen_1
Super Advisor

kernel configuration help

I am in a process to upgrade Oracle 8.06 on 10.20 and get a list of kernel parameters to be adjusted from this forum. I am having 1G memory in total from 512M before.

There are some parameters depended on each other. I would like to know if it is OK to overwrite them just with digits, or have to find their relationship first before modifying them.

I may have a lot of them changed, most of them being memory related parameters and user xpanding. I don't know if it is necessary to do them on separate times.

Please advise.
Steve
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: kernel configuration help

Steven:

Using SAM -> Kernel configuration, you can choose various tuning templates. There are ones for databases that provide very good starting points.

For parameters whose values are based on the values of still other parameters, I would adjust the values of the simple variables, rather than overwrite the formula with a static value. To do otherwise may lead to a poorly configured kernel.

...JRF...
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

There is an Oracle recommended list of kernel parameters for HP-UX, ive attached the spreadsheet.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

I agree with James, choose rdbms server template, that a good start.
If you go by hand modifying /stand/build/system can lead to serious problems if you make a mistake...