Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernel recompile

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chakravarthi
Trusted Contributor

kernel recompile

HI all,,

how do i recompile the kernel with current kernel settings, i guess there will be one file where all the settings are stored.

any help

thanks
chakri
1 REPLY
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: kernel recompile

On a RedHat system? Not really.

But unless you've made a custom kernel in the past, then you should be able to use one of the pre-packaged config files distributed with the kernel-source package.

They are stored in '/usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/', and you just need to do something like:

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
cp configs/kernel-2.4.xx-i386.config .config
make oldconfig

Check the directory for pre-set configurations, and go from there. These are the default kernel configurations for the RH systems core packages.

From posts here, SUSE stores the build configurations in the same directory (/boot I beleive) as the krenels.

I'm unsure as to what other distributions do.

Hope this helps a little.
One long-haired git at your service...