1753797 Members
7396 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

keyboard trouble

jim bidebo
Regular Advisor

keyboard trouble

Running hpux 11.00 on a workstation that is attached to a kbd/mouse/display switch, an ordinary pc-kbd is attached to the switch.
The kbd has a swedish layout, and the native characters works fine (??????), but '*' (asterix)on the letter part of the kbd, and 'Delete' doesnt work. '*' doesnt send a thing when pressed, the '*' on the numerical part does work ok thou. 'Delete' sends "^?" instead of 'Delete'.
4 REPLIES 4
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Re: keyboard trouble

xmodmap -pke | grep asterisk ?
mine yeilds UK/US KB :

keycode 71 = 8 asterisk bracketleft braceleft

xmodmap -pke | grep -i delete ?
mine yields :

keycode 109 = Delete
keycode 122 = KP_Decimal KP_Delete

so if they aren't set you could use : xmodmap -e "keycode ## = "8 asterisk bracketleft braceleft" or similar to change it ?

jim bidebo
Regular Advisor

Ah nice, is it also possible to somehow show what keycode a specific key has?
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Probably a range of utilities out there I use one called XkeyCaps to assist http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/
jim bidebo
Regular Advisor

Foundout both * and delete, but delete seams to have been correct already... even thou it sends '^?' instead of an actual 'delete char'.
That happens sometimes with 'backspace' and then i usually do a "stty erase ^?" where ^? is the output from backspace. But when reading the manpage for stty i couldnt find a delete function... the closest i could find is werase, which erases the whole last typed word... but i want the normal delete function... any clues?