New Discussion юеВ

Re: konqueror does not show man page

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

konqueror does not show man page

Hi,

I copied man pages in /usr/man/man1, $MANPATH is exported and has an entry /usr/man/man1. There is a file /usr/man/man1/bp.1, readable for everyone including all path components.

Starting 'konqueror man:bp' does not show the man page of bp. Instead I get "Keine passende Handbuchseite f├Г┬╝r bp gefunden." meaning "Man page not found."

Why? What do I have to do to get the man page of bp inside konqueror?

(Just typing 'man bp' works
no users -- no problems
11 REPLIES 11
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Well, one possibility may be that as konqueror gets preloaded on startup these days, it may be that the MANPATH is not set early enough for konquror to pick it up. Make sure you export this MANPATH before "startkde" in $HOME/.xsession or wherever KDE gets started from on your system.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

I did not start KDE. I logged into Linux from a remote host. I had set/exported MANPATH in my .profile before. I am starting 'konqueror man:bp', so I should expect the man page of bp inside konqueror.....

An other idea?
no users -- no problems
Francisco J. Soler
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Does the man command work with bp page?

MANPATH should point to /usr/man not /usr/man/man1

Frank.
Linux?. Yes, of course.
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Francisco,

yes: 'man bp' works, MANPATH points to /usr/man.
no users -- no problems
Vernon Brown_4
Trusted Contributor

Along the lines of "Check if it's plugged in" -- Are you logged into the remote host when you run "konqueror man:bp"

I only mention this because it has happened to me more than once; running KDE on a local machine logged into a remote machine also running KDE. Sometimes I get momentarily confused about which box the output is coming from :o)

Vern
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

I just did a little test and it seems konqueror doen't give a gnats whisker about your MANPATH when started like this. It only seems to care about about the MANPATH it had when it was initally pre-loaded or it takes a default.

My "konquror man:who" worked fine and so did plain old "man who". I set my MANPATH to just a "." and although "man who" stopped working, "konqueror man:who" continued to work.

Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

thank you for you tests. What do you suggest?

(I seems not to be acceptable if konqueror does not care about the content of MANPATH.)
no users -- no problems
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well, this is starting to get a bit strange now.

If I telnet to another machine and then telnet back to my machine then the MANPATH does seem to have some effect.

I would have to ask how you are logging onto KDE. Are you using a KDM login dialog or just telnetting to the machine and setting your environment.
Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Mark,

great!!! It works.

You gave the hint. I tried to get access on the man page of bp while another, old konqueror process was running, started at a time while /usr/man was not yet added on MANPATH. So, following konqueror processes were just childs of the first konqueror process.

The solution is: Exiting all running konqueror processes. Logging out, logging in (having all the needed entries in MANPATH) and starting again 'konqueror man:bp'.

Thank you!!
no users -- no problems