Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

konsole: How to set background color?

Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

konsole: How to set background color?

Hi,

I like to choose background/foreground colors starting the konsole from the shell. 'konsole --help-qt' tells how to do (quite similar to e.g. xterm -bg red -fg green). But 'konsole --bg red --fg green' does not work. I use the color names listed in /usr/lib/X11/rgb.txt. This color list works as 'xcolors' shows them all.

How do I set background/foreground colors starting konsole from the shell?
no users -- no problems
9 REPLIES
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Re: konsole: How to set background color?

Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

there is a set of predefined schemas in

Settings -> schema -> your_choice

personnaly its "green on black" and I use ls colors for more readable listings. Along with a cool $PS1.
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Create your own schemas within konsole and either select them manually from within konsole or startup konsole as "konsole --schema "

You could even have a little script called "mykonsole" which looks a bit like this to get a random schema each time you start konsole

IND=$RANDOM
IND=`echo $RANDOM | cut -c${#IND}`

schema[0]=red
schema[1]=blue
schema[2]=red
schema[3]=green
schama[4]=green
schame[5]=blue
schema[6]=yellow
schama[7]=cyan
schema[8]=red
schema[9]=blue

konsole --schema ${schema[$IND]}"$@"

I think I should have done this in perl :)
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

there's an editor for the color schemas.
right click -> Settings -> Configure Konsole

in the 'Colors' box choose the Shell Color n.1 and the Konsole Color you prefer.

hth!
Ciao
Claudio
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Thomas Schler_1
Trusted Contributor

Mark:

The option '--schema' is not documented and produces the error message "unknown option". I am using SuSE Linux 8.1, KDE 3.0.5, Konsole 1.1.3. Other idea?

Claudio, G. Vrijhoeven:

Thanks. But as I mentioned I like to set colors by calling konsole from the shell.
no users -- no problems
Mark Grant
Honored Contributor

Well, I did a hack to konsole to select schemas from the command line back in the days of KDE 2.X and I remember shortly afterwards being surprised to find the feature supported. Try running "konsole --help" from the command line to make sure you don't have it.

Before doing my hack, I had a little script as a wrapper around konsole that just copied random schemas to the default one that I was using and then started the real konsole. This is only practical if you create a few schemas and save them. That way you are copying stuff in "$HOME/.kde/share/apps/konsole" rather than the system wide one.
Never preceed any demonstration with anything more predictive than "watch this"
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor

I think you should create and save your color schema using the editor as I said before, then run:

$ konsole --schema

you don't need the full path of the .schema file, just the name of the schema; this works for me (RH9, kde 3.1-10).

Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello,

this is on SuSE 8.2 with

konsole --version
Qt: 3.1.1
KDE: 3.1.1
Konsole: 1.2.1

To create a new schema, use Setiings->Configure Konsole . Build the schema to your liking, save it with a new name (e.g. i used MPJZ which produced file MPJZ.schema), then invoke a new konsole as konsole --schema e.g in my case konsole --schema MPJZ and that gave me a red foreground (since this is what I changed in the settings editor).

HTH, Martin