legato networker and HP-UX

Corthouts Carlo
Valued Contributor

legato networker and HP-UX

Hi,

When making backups on our HP-UX 11.00 system
we have following problem with legato networker :

Unable to read ACLV information for `xxxxxxxx': Invalid argument

We installed the latest libc patches and the patch to resolve the problem withVX_FREEZE ioctl returning EINVAL

But we still experience this problem.
7 REPLIES 7
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Re: legato networker and HP-UX

I played around with the networker a little a few months ago, but really found no use for it. I suggest switching to ignite as a backup solution. It is free and fairly simple to use.

Sorry, not much help on real problem.

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

What version of Networker are you trying to run? Have you initiated contact with Legato support yet? We find that they always either have an update to the networker software or they have a list of HPUX patches for us to verify is on the system. (Although the list is always outdated and you have to find the latest ones yourself.)
Spoon!!!!
Corthouts Carlo
Valued Contributor

We are using 6.01
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Look at the kmine document entitled

Legato Networker ACL related errors. Patching.

Steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Corthouts Carlo
Valued Contributor

done that
Steve Steel
Honored Contributor

Hi

Then I suspect you need 11i

HP-UX 11i includes a new version of the Journaled File System (JFS), version 3.3 as opposed to the previous version 3.1. (JFS is also known as the VERITAS File System or VxFS).

New features in JFS 3.3 include: support for access control lists (ACLs), the only HFS feature unavailable in JFS 3.1 (see aclv(5),
getacl(1), setacl(1), acl(2), and aclsort(3C)). Now JFS contains a superset of HFS functionality. This enables all users to consider migration from HFS to JFS.

a new disk layout, that is, version 4

a new command for tuning a VxFS file system, vxtunefs (see vxtunefs(1M) and tunefstab(4))

a new command, vxfsconvert, for converting an HFS file system to a JFS file system. This command will also convert HFS ACLs to JFS ACLs, with some limitations (see vxfsconvert(1M)).

performance enhancements

new packaging and licensing strategy for OnlineJFS (see vxlicense(1M) and vxenablef(1M))

a better solution for the file system shrink limitation when using the version 4 disk layout

steve Steel
If you want truly to understand something, try to change it. (Kurt Lewin)
Corthouts Carlo
Valued Contributor

Found this info in newsgroup.

It solved the problem :

Are you running with the basic file system (UFS on HP/UX, I believe)?
What looks to be happening is that Networker is attempting to read the ACL (access control list) info from files that have no such thing. The OS is telling the save process that the file system has ACLs, so Networker is looking for them and failing on non-VxFS partitions. It doesn't affect functionality (backups and restores are fine), it just fills the logs with spam.
I can't seem to find the info from when I ran into this before, I remember the solution being an HP patch bundle from about 12/99.

LEGATO ERROR PATCHESHP Recommends

PHCO_23651
PHCO_23876
PHKL_18543
PHKL_20016
PHKL_22589
PHKL_22677
PHKL_24027
PHKL_24612