1752749 Members
5057 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

linux on pavilion xt983

dennis_25

linux on pavilion xt983

will linux run on an athlon K6 chipset? what would i need to do to set up linu on a pavilion with a K6 chip? when i try to load red hat 7.1 it will not recognize the integrated video and will not run x. any idea how to install rh7.1 so i can get x to run?
John 8:32
2 REPLIES 2
William L. Drylie

Re: linux on pavilion xt983

Linux will run on AMD k-6. I have an hp Pavilion 4433 Wal-Mart bundle that runs AMD K-6
at 300 MHz. I have succesfully run RH 6.1 through 7.1 on this machine. X configuator probes the video card and monitor setup.
I have found that you need to go into the BIOS and change the operating system from WIN to OTHER. WIN will still boot and X configuator works better. This way, The BIOS is forced to detect the hardware. X can be a little finicky, so when it detects your card and monitor, you must ensure
that it has properly identified the video card you have and the correct monitor, and this is important, the correct Horiz freq and Vert Freq. This info is found in your Pavilion monitor book. Do not allow X to specify a higher resolution than your monitor can handle.
If X is not correctly identifying your equipment, you can select customize X option and configure manually, that is, type in your frequency info for monitor, specify your video card along with the amount of video memory. My card is also integrated, and it works fine. Video card info can be found on Pavilion website under Product Specifications. It will inform you of your equipment build. After you have configured X, test it, if not right you can go back and change it. If you are still having problems, let me know.
William L. Drylie

Re: linux on pavilion xt983

A couple of other thoughts, ensure that your video card is on the list that X configuator presents. If not, if you have the technical knowledge about your card, you may choose unlisted card during custom install and attempt to configure by matching your cards chipset with one of the available x servers.
You can also opt to skip X configuration and do it later or not at all. There is nothing written in stone that you have to install the xwindow packages.