New Discussion юеВ

Re: logrotate

SOLVED
Go to solution
chakri
Occasional Contributor

logrotate

Hi,

i would like to logrotate system logs /var/log/* every day and delete 7 days older logs.

this is not happening in my linux machine. logs are getting rotated every day but 7 days older logs are not getting deleted.

could you please let me know what could be the issue.

logrotate.conf
--------
# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
daily

# keep 7 days worth of backlogs
rotate 7

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

# Rotate log if it is bigger than SIZE
#size=100M

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
#compress

# RPM packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp, or btmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
monthly
create 0664 root utmp
rotate 1
}

# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.
/var/log/kern.log /var/log/debug /var/log/auth.log /var/log/daemon.log /var/log/messages /var/log/user.log /var/log/mail.err /var/log/mail.info /var/log/mail.log /var/log/mail.warn /var/log/uucp.log /var/log/faillog /var/log/dmesg {
daily
create 0640 root logadm
postrotate
/etc/init.d/syslog restart
endscript
rotate 7
}

5 REPLIES 5
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Change the "dayly" option to "weekly".

ogrotate.conf
--------
# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
# daily
weekly
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
chakri
Occasional Contributor

could some one please explain me what does rotate will do,, doest it rotate logs so many times daily/weekly or it will delete logs after days???

also in my problem how does changing to weekly will help?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

>>> could some one please explain me what does rotate will do,, doest it rotate logs so many times daily/weekly or it will delete logs after days???

Log rotate will rotate the files at the interval specified. If you specify "daily" and "rotate 6", you will have 6 copies of your log files rotated daily, that is, the 6 most recent, or 6 days.

If you specify weekly, and rotate 1, for example, you will have one log file containing logs for the entire week.

Probably I understand wrong your first post. How many logs do you have in your log directory with "daily" and "rotate 7" options?

Have you manually added the section under:
# system-specific logs may be also be configured here.

This should be not neccesary as in /etc/logrotate.d, which is included in the configuration file, you have the syslog configuration file which rotates system logs.

You can force a rotation with:

logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf

Check also /var/lib/logrotate.status
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
chakri
Occasional Contributor

thank you,

my configuration was correct but while testing i was not using -f option.

thanks again..

Hi,

I'm a new guy to linux, and trying to create a log rotation for one of my logs, can you tell me how to do this... I have tried so many site with their comments..

Location of my file : /usr/local/lbx/xl_wat/wasp65/bin/output.log

please help me...